VMware Cloud Community
ALF4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter vSphere 6.5 DRS Power Automation and Templates

So templates can't be moved so what happens if DRS power automation puts the a host into standby but your template is attached to that host?

I mean templates can't move so does that mean you have to script converting and moving the template to another host before it places the given host into standby?

Anyone with knowledge in this area and could provide some assistance with how I move the template (technically not possible unless its converted back to a VM) when a host is moved into standby by DRS power automation.

No points award to those who suggest the following;

1. Don't convert them to templates just leave them as VM's

2. Have a stand alone host for templates (<<-Sure)

3. Don't use templates.

4. Ever heard of Ansible? (<<-- oh come on!)

Thanks in advance!

VCP-DCV2019
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I mean templates can't move so does that mean you have to script converting and moving the template to another host before it places the given host into standby?

Basically that's what you're faced with doing. If you're truly using DPM inside your cluster, you're in the very small minority of folks. In my experience, that feature is rarely used and so there's not a whole lot of built-in automation to handle these types of scenarios. I'd have to go and see how DPM behaves in vSphere 6.5 and if that's different from previous releases. But another idea might be to integrate vRO with your vCenter and use it to handle the re-registration of your templates when DPM is about to shutdown a host. I'm not sure of the triggers there (or even if there is one), but I'm sure there are some creative ways to get around this although they may not be pretty.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

Convert it to a virtual machine, move it via the migrate function and convert it back to a template.

OR

1.  Right-click on template and click on Remove from Inventory (no need to convert it to a virtual machine).

2.  Go to Configuration tab of the destination HOST ESX server. Click on Storage in the left Navigation pane. Right-click the datastore which contains the Template folder and files then choose Browse Datastore.

3.  In the Datastore Browser window, go inside the folder name of the Template. Right-click the *.vmtx file and choose Add to Inventory.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Basically that's what you're faced with doing. If you're truly using DPM inside your cluster, you're in the very small minority of folks. In my experience, that feature is rarely used and so there's not a whole lot of built-in automation to handle these types of scenarios. I'd have to go and see how DPM behaves in vSphere 6.5 and if that's different from previous releases. But another idea might be to integrate vRO with your vCenter and use it to handle the re-registration of your templates when DPM is about to shutdown a host. I'm not sure of the triggers there (or even if there is one), but I'm sure there are some creative ways to get around this although they may not be pretty.

0 Kudos