1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 10:07 AM by CERKYR

VCSA : installation on a physical server

CERKYR Enthusiast

Hello,

Is it possible to install a VCSA on a physical server, like a USB Key ?

Regards,

Cyril

• 1. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
          a.p. Guru
          User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

With sufficient Know-How you may be able to get it to work somehow.

However, it's not supported, and also a waste of hardware resources.

André

• 2. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
            daphnissov Guru
            Community WarriorsvExpert

For all intents and purposes, no, you cannot install vCSA on a physical server nor should you ever try.

• 3. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
              CERKYR Enthusiast

Hello,

In the past, it was possible to install "vCenter for Windows" directly on a Windows Server  (very long and hard activity) ; but VMware decide few months ago not to continue with this .
              Then, I plan to go to VCSA.

And VCSA can't be installed directly on a Physical machine, even if it's a Linux server !

Then, I plan to build a "free" ESXi dédicated for the VCSA.

Regards,

• 4. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                daphnissov Guru
                vExpertCommunity Warriors

In the past, it was possible to install "vCenter for Windows" directly on a Windows Server  (very long and hard activity) ; but VMware decide few months ago not to continue with this .

This was far longer than a "few months ago" I can assure you.

And VCSA can't be installed directly on a Physical machine, even if it's a Linux server !

Yes, because the "A" in "vCSA" means "Appliance" and Appliance means it comes pre-packaged--OS, application, everything. You can't take an appliance, rip the OS out, and slap it on another OS. That's just not how any appliances work--ever--anywhere.

Then, I plan to build a "free" ESXi dédicated for the VCSA.

You seem to like to make your life more difficult than it needs to be be. Why is that? The vCSA is just another VM which can happily co-exist with other "user" VMs on a cluster managed by itself. Putting it on a dedicated ESXi host running the free edition is not only wasteful but increases your management overhead since a free host cannot be managed by a vCenter Server.

• 5. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                  CERKYR Enthusiast

If the ESXi (that run the VCSA) is down (for exemple : electrical pb; yes , it's DELL R740 with 2 Powers and RAID) , the VCSA is down, then the impacts on the other VM is also down..
                  Any Vm have time to move to a other ESXi with vmotion....

"Put all the eggs in ths ame bag is not a good idea "

It's like DNS server : I plan to have 3 DNS servers (on 3 ESXi)

The goal is to make something confortable, in case of problem, but also for maintenance.
                  I can't be in the factory every day.

I could be a great improvment to buy a Vcenter licence for more than 1 instance. (maybe for next year ...)

At the end of the installations and the configurations; I plan to stop the power of each physical server (one by one), to know  what happen ...

And also, I plan to buy a SAN with high availabilty ...next year ?

I also plan to reuse the old physical server (esx 5) for a second VCSA next year...if VMware allows this kind of configuration ?

• 6. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                    daphnissov Guru

If the ESXi (that run the VCSA) is down (for exemple : electrical pb; yes , it's DELL R740 with 2 Powers and RAID) , the VCSA is down, then the impacts on the other VM is also down..

Any Vm have time to move to a other ESXi with vmotion....

If vCSA is down it does not affect the running state of other VMs. And this is why you buy a license with HA and have shared storage, so if a host goes down it is automatically powered on elsewhere in the cluster. Also, other hosts can also go down that do run VMs you know....

"Put all the eggs in ths ame bag is not a good idea "

Then why use virtualization at all? Convergence is one of the primary reasons to use virtualization. Your logic is flawed here.

I also plan to reuse the old physical server (esx 5) for a second VCSA next year...if VMware allows this kind of configuration ?

No, that isn't allowed. You can't have multiple vCSAs managing the same ESXi hosts. You can use vCenter High Availability, but that comes at a cost.

• 7. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                      CERKYR Enthusiast

You write :

"If vCSA is down"

I wrote :

"If the ESXi (that run the VCSA) is down"

The scenario is NOT the same.

---

• 8. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                        daphnissov Guru

I wrote :

"If the ESXi (that run the VCSA) is down"

This is why you buy and use High Availability along with shared storage so your VMs fail over to *other* available ESXi hosts.

• 9. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                          CERKYR Enthusiast

Hello,

The cluster is defined by or though the VCSA (vcenter).

Inside the cluster, I add 2 ESXi for the moment.

And Inside the vcenter, I add the 2 licences (Vsphere essential Plus for 6 CPU and vcenter for 1 instance).

Inside the licences, there is the HA functionnality.

If the VCSA is down, can you confirm that the cluster is UP and then the HA is available ?

(HA is able to move with vmotion and start a "clone" of each VM on a other ESXi server.)

Regards,

• 10. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                            a.p. Guru
                            vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

HA is able to move with vmotion ...

HA works independently of vCenter Server, i.e. vCenter Server is only required for the HA configuration.

However, HA doesn't move/vMotion VMs. It comes into play if a host crashes, and in this case the VMs which were running on that host will be down.

HA will try to power on VMs that were previously running on the crashed host on other hosts in the cluster, if these hosts have access to the storage on which the VMs are stored.

So without shared storage, there's no HA possible.

André

• 11. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                              CERKYR Enthusiast

OK, great !

"vCenter Server is only required for the HA configuration."

Then, I need to configure the HA ...I was thinking, it was an automatic configuration . (?)

(I'm quiet blocked due to the fact that RUFUS tool is not allowed by a Security Tool on my laptop (confer);

then, I can't build a USB Key Bootable with the ESXi ISO file given by DELL;

I search a other tool ...)

And imagine, that this HA configuration is done, does it mean that we can live without the vcenter ?

"So without shared storage, there's no HA possible."

For me, it's like a SAN.
                              Is it possible to allow 2 different datastores, from 2 ESXi, to be shared and use by HA ?

• 12. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                                daphnissov Guru

André is absolutely right, but keep in mind vSphere HA is totally different from vCenter HA. You absolutely want to configure vSphere HA, but as mentioned, it does not use vMotion.

• 13. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                                  CERKYR Enthusiast

I just update my last message fiew second ago.

No I don't want to use HA or something else, it doesn't matter.
                                  I just want to be sure that each VM on a ESXi is able to restart in the second ESXi, automatically, in few seconds, in any case.

• 14. Re: VCSA : installation on a physical server
                                    daphnissov Guru

Is it possible to allow 2 different datastores, from 2 ESXi, to be shared and use by HA ?

No, you need a shared datastore common to all ESXi hosts if you want to use HA. This is just how the technology works.

I just want to be sure that each VM on a ESXi is able to restart in the second ESXi, automatically, in few seconds, in any case.

Then you need HA, which means you need a SAN. Period.

1 2 Previous Next