VMware Communities
Nixx0n2000
Contributor
Contributor

Moving W10 box from F8 to F10

I recently upgraded from VMWare Fusion 8 to 10. In 8 I had a Widows 10 box that worked flawlessly. After my upgrade to 10 its been a nightmare!

The screen in the VM want to be the highest resolution it can do making the icons microscopic. Even if I change the view and select stretch VM to match the box when I reboot it goes back to micro. Also its REALLY REALLY SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW. Like boot up and log in, all is good, then go make some coffee, build a house, water the garden, solve an Einstein problem, come back and click and icon, them start over again..... much later it starts to move.

I am on a Mac Pro 32 GB Ram Xeon E5 processor, High Sierra.

the vm is 8 gb of ram and 4 core.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi NixxOn2000,

Would you please refer to the System Requirements of Fusion 10 and check if your Mac model is supported.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Nixx0n2000
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it’s supported it’s a Mac Pro purchased in early 2016.

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nixx0n2000,

Have you tried to remove the VMware Tools and re-install it?

Also, some I/O activities inside the VM like Windows Auto-Update will also cause the performance drop.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Nixx0n2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

actually did the uninstall and reinstall today. No change. Auto updates are disabled as we use WSUS and this box is manually updated as I use it for apps that are update sensitive 

Also watched the mac processes and cpu today nothing spiking and tons of power. Watched windows processed and same thing normal activity even during the lag time.

No or in the windows logs.

It worked for for two years with no issues so I know it’s a vm upgrade issue.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Even if I change the view and select stretch VM to match the box when I reboot it goes back to micro.

In menu "Virtual machine" -> settings -> Display

There's a checkbox "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine", if you uncheck it then it should not change your settings.

Note that "stretch" is not the fastest option around, I tend to disable this option and set the preferred size in the guest.

For your performance issues, please read this guide (I don't agree with all the details, but it is a good start)

How to Fix Slow Windows VMs on VMware Fusion 8.x

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Nixx0n2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

found that article as and already tried them. No change.

I also did uncheck the box which didn’t help. On reboot it wants my screen to be at max resolution and the slowness is still present.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, in case the unchecking of that checkbox doesn't work, there is another way, but you have to repeat the steps on each VMware Tools update.

Locate your VMware Tools folder, it is either:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Tools

or something like that.

In that folder is a file called:

VMwareResolutionSet.exe

Rename it to:

VMwareResolutionSet.exe.old

and the problem with the resolution getting reset should be gone.

For the performance issues is a bit harder to give additional hints with what we currently know.

If you attach a current vmware.log file as found in your virtual machine folder (bundle) to a reply here then perhaps it is possible to troubleshoot it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos