I cannot explain the following issue: Ping transmission fails for the configuration when vmnics from the same partition are added to the same vSwitch.
- Network adapter: four-port Intel X710 with Dell firmware
- ESXi: 6.7 GA
- Npar partitions: four partitions, two vmnics per each partition (one vmnic master and one vmnic slave)
- Two servers Dell R730 connected by an external physical switch. NPAR enabled only in one server (SUT).
System Under Test (SUT):
Both physical adapters are active. Vmnic16 - master and vmnic20 - slave, both of the same partition.
Basically, I pinged these three vmkernel adapters from other server. Ping to the first one (vmk3) failed. Is it a feature or a bug?
Below, I have attached ESXi console screenshot to make my setup more understandable:
1. Partition pairs. We can see two partition pairs which are up: the green and yellow one
2. ESXTOP view of the testing setup:
3. Ping test results:
If I change the setup and replace a slave vmnic (vmnic20 - green partition) with a slave vmnic from the second partition (vmnic21 - yellow partition) then all ping tests are passed.