VMware Cloud Community
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Differing versions of vCenter and PSCs

Hi All,

I currently have a VCSA (with embedded PSC) version 6.0 which I cannot upgrade anytime soon. Which manages a small cluster for a managed print solution, this isnt going anywhere or being upgraded anytime soon.

I am about to deploy a seperate VCSA 6.5U2 to manage a general purpose cluster, I was looking at different options regarding the PSC deployments etc.

If I had an external 6.5 PSC could I join the existing VCSA 6.0 and VCSA 6.5 to the same vsphere domain? I dont need enhanced linked mode or any other special featrues but a comment from the customer was that they would like the 2 vCenters members of the same SSO domain.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. You can repoint the vCSA 6.0 to an external 6.5 PSC if it's the same domain. The vCSA 6.5 can also use the same external PSC.

Reconfigure a Standalone vCenter Server with an Embedded Platform Services Controller to a vCenter S...

Supported and deprecated topologies for VMware vSphere 6.5 (2147672)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147672

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

first thumb rule is dont mix up with versions which is not recommended, if you are running 6.0 ensure PSC and connected VCs also should be in same version.

If you have external PSC, then you can add the VCs pointing to it. However, check the following link for supported topology.

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perfect answer thanks very much.

Do you know if this is fully supported for ongoing BAU?

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
deanvictrix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brilliant, thanks.

So basically its not possible to run an ongoing supported deployment with 2 vCenters at different versions talking to the same PSC, its only advised to do this during an upgrade cycle.

And I am guessing that a 6.0 PSC and 6.5 PSC cant be in the same domain?

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

they can exist in the same domain but only for short times during an upgrade. See the post martin linked about mixed-vcenter versions. you also cannot have an embedded and external PSC within the same SSO domain.

0 Kudos