VMware Cloud Community
pacharya46
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall Plguin (dar)

Hi 

As we make changes in our plugin and deploy in VRA, it is quite challenging to manually clean up(https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.4/com.vmware.vrealize.orchestrator-use-plugins.doc/...) and install same version again and again. Is there a simple way/script to delete the packages/actions/workflow so that i have some script to invoke the clean up actions

Thanks Prakash

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Your best option is to snapshot vRO prior to installing your version. Revert the snapshot when you want to "uninstall" that version and you don't have to deal with clean-up.

0 Kudos
pacharya46
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the details.

As some customers also want to verify our early drop, I think we cannot ask customer to have snapshot and use it

Thanks Prakash

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, there's really not a better way at this time. There has always been very little attention paid to proper plug-in removal and clean-up, unfortunately. The only thing I can recommend is that each subsequent version of your plug-in have routines that allow the prior version(s) to be scrubbed in a comprehensive way. Other than that, snapshot reversion is going to give you the most "clean" state but may be undesired for an embedded vRO.

0 Kudos
pacharya46
Contributor
Contributor

I agree and feedback is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To make developer's life easier during development phase, you can set the installation mode element in your plug-in's manifest file vso.xml to "always".

<installation mode="always">

<action ... />

</installation>

The value of this element can be set either by build scripts or manually, depending on how the vso.xml file for your plug-in is managed.

Setting mode to "always" should force the plug-in package to be installed during every server startup. That is, to deploy a newer build of your plug-in, you just need to copy the plug-in DAR file to the vRO server (either by copying the file manually to proper location, or installing it via API/UI), and then restart vRO server.

0 Kudos
pacharya46
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for feedback. Let me try and confirm

0 Kudos