1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2018 4:54 AM by daphnissov

ESXi how to ping across multiple VLAN?

alvinoo Novice

Hi there,

I would like to ask if it is possible to ping from one VLAN (port 1) across another VLAN (port 7)

From example, the IP from (port 1) is 192.168.1.254 is it possible to reach (port 7) 10.101.1.10.
      I understand there are not in the same gateway.

I heard from other mention that traffic routing is required. Do advise.

Another question, is it possible to set ip with different subnet in a VLAN?

For example, I have an IP  gateway 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1. They should be only able to talk to the same gateway.

• 1. Re: ESXi how to ping across multiple VLAN?
          daphnissov Guru
          Community WarriorsvExpert

I would like to ask if it is possible to ping from one VLAN (port 1) across another VLAN (port 7)

From example, the IP from (port 1) is 192.168.1.254 is it possible to reach (port 7) 10.101.1.10.
          I understand there are not in the same gateway.

I heard from other mention that traffic routing is required. Do advise.

Yes, you have to have a router which routes traffic from one VLAN to another.

Another question, is it possible to set ip with different subnet in a VLAN?

For example, I have an IP  gateway 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1. They should be only able to talk to the same gateway.

These would be routing rules you set in place when configuring your device.