VMware Cloud Community
LMSADSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Port Group with UCS & ESXi

Hi

We are new to vmWare. As of now we prepared single vNICs for Management (vNIC1), vMotion (vNIC2) and for VM traffic (vNIC3). These vNICs are configured with failover option in UCS. We found many Cisco as well VMWare articles talking about Port Groups, each Port group defined with pair of virtual adapters. We are looking for more details on Port Groups with respect to UCS and VMWare (do we need to integrate ESXi with UCS, in our scenario with single vNIC do we need to create Port Groups and how this Port Group defined with VMWare & UCS)

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'd recommend starting with some Google searches for "UCS VMware best practices" which will give you things like this.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi LMSADSA

Please create a portgroup on vswitch and assign the corresponding NIC to it. Move that uplink (vNIC) to Active uplinks and rest to unused uplinks in vsphere.

From UCS assign vNIC template with the flown VLANs to the service profile>vNIC

Regards,

Raj

www.hypervmwarecloud.com

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
rsave
Contributor
Contributor

Hey LMSADSA​,

It seems, you use fabric failover option, so you have got only one uplink for each type of ethernet traffic(Management, vMotion, VM) in the section Failover order(Add a Distributed Port Group ) for port group's settings. In such way Fabric Interconnect automatically switches traffic if failure occurs.

Many uplinks are used for failover purposes in traditional configurations.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-809743E1-F366-4...

0 Kudos
LMSADSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry..

Our primary concern is :- since we have configured vNIC failover at UCS level, there won't be multiple vNICs to be presented with ESXi for each type of ethernet traffic. With ESXi we can see 3 X Physical NICs, created 3 virtual switches, 2 VMKernal NICs & Port groups for vMotion and Management, other port groups for each VLANS for VM virtual switch". So what I understood from all the replies, when we create multiple vNICs with UCS without Fabric failover option, we can create Distributed Port groups with failover order. So in our case no need for Port Groups with respect to vNICs, are we right?

0 Kudos
rsave
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are right

0 Kudos