VMware Communities
photo0203
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 Guest OS Lost permissions for mapped drives on OSX 10.10.5 Vmware 8.5.10

I have been running Windows 7 guest OS on OSX 10.10.5 for quite a long time without issues.  Suddenly the mapped drives are behaving oddly and I'm trying to figure out what has changed.  I'm getting corrupted recycle bin errors with my shared download folder.  I had to disable that and delete the $RECYCLE.BIN file - just turned off the recycle bin entirely.  With local drives I have no issues copying, creating, and deleting files.

On the network drives, I can read and duplicate files, writing to the directory.  But, I cannot delete the copied file from the guest OS.  I have to delete it from OSX.  If I attempt to delete any file from the network drive from the guest OS it says, You require permission from S-1-1-0 to make changes to this file.  Yet, I can copy it and write it back to the folder.  All my accounts are Admin.

-rwxrwxrwx     1 myname  staff    242872 Jul 22  2008 3g_booster - Copy.pdf

-rw-r--r--     1 myname  staff    242872 Jul 22  2008 3g_booster.pdf

The copied file incorrectly sets the permission bits but the owner appears correct.  From OSX it does not give me any issues deleting files.  As for creating files, if I attempt to write a new file from notepad under the guest OS Win7 it creates a 0 byte file, this time with the correct permissions, and says, You don't have permissions to modify files in this network location.  There is no Security tab visible for network folders.

I've tried re-installing the tools, removing the anti-virus, the firewall is off.  I've tried changing the network adapter from bridge to NAT, re-mapping network drives, and numerous reboots.

I have a WinXP guest OS which works fine.  I went to a backup copy of my Win7 VM from 2 months ago and it has the same problems.  Is there anything I can try?  Download 8.4 maybe?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
photo0203
Contributor
Contributor

Ok... seems that VMWare pushed me an update, broke my computer, then ditched me.  There is no tech support option available for my product.  Super.  I have converted my VM's to Parallels and am back in business after removing all traces of VMWare from my mac.

Have a great day!

0 Kudos