VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ovf size

i create ovf file from a vm. vm size is 300 gb but ovf size is 8 gb . Why sizes are different ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're starting to post a lot here, and each time you do you never include any information which we need to supply help. Please put basic information including versions, products used, steps taken, screenshots, etc into *every* post if you would like help.

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please, if you dont want to answer then please dont write. just want to the size of the ovf file is the same as that of the virtual machine ? or what is the rationale

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's the whole point, we can't give you an answer because you haven't provided enough details for one. You need to include things like:

What product?

What version?

How are you exporting an OVF?

What browser?

What OS?

Etc.

When you don't provide basic information, we can't help you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With exporting a virtual machine to an OVF file, only the virtual disk's used blocks (likely the 8GB) are exported.

The virtual disk's provisioned size will only be kept in the OVF file's metadata, so that the OFV import/deployment process is aware of that size, and can configure the VM's virtual disk as required.

André

ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have 6.5 u2 and i login esxi then convert to ovf so not on vcenter.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's ok, no need for vCenter. The results should be that same, no matter whether you use the vCenter UI, the ESXi UI, or even ovftool from the command line.

André

0 Kudos