VMware Cloud Community
kgmartin
Contributor
Contributor

VM needing re-registered in vSphere 6.7

Hello, I've been working on a client system that is a brand new HPE ML350 G10.  The HPE specific vsphere 6.7 version has been installed.

This is a single host environment, local storage, with 3 VMs running, 2 Windows 2016 VMs and one Linux.

Yesterday I attempted to add a USB drive to one of the VMs through settings.  The process seemed to work, but when I looked in the VM the USB drive wasn't there.

I walked away and didn't think anything of it, but when I returned just 5 minutes or so later the VM had crashed and was no longer running.

when I tried to power it on I got the message that the power on process wasn't supported in the current state, POWERED OFF.

I tried changing a setting and that didn't work either.

I shutdown all of the VMs and rebooted the host, but no change.

Only way I was able to get this server running again was to remove the VM from inventory, unregister it, and re-register it.  Then I was able to power it back on.

Unfortunately this is the 2nd time that this has happened.  First time it was a newly created VM and the host was just getting set up so I didn't think much of it.  However, now that it is production this was more of an issue.  Seems that the VM is fine, though we did have some issues with one of the apps on the VM, but wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.

This host is running Free ESXi, and I was using the UI interface of the host to manage the VM.

If anyone has seen something like this, or knows of a bug please let me know.

Initial searches came up empty.  Also, if anyone knows of a way to re-register a VM via the command line quickly that would be great too.  I'm sure there's an esxcli command for it, just haven't found it yet.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies