VMware Cloud Community
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Experience with the ESXi Side-Channel-Aware scheduler

I am curious if anyone is using the new side-channel-aware scheduler and what your experience has been.  I ran the analysis script and everything was green (No expected impact...).  While I didn't notice a real increase in CPU utilization, I did notice an increase in CPU Ready Time and Co-Stop Time.  I am not sure those values were considered by the readiness script.  What has your experience been?  I never had an issue with Co-Stop, now I have some VMs hitting 3+% fairly often and Ready Times have doubled.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have applied it to my hosts currently there does not seem to be any detrimental affect, that said, our hosts are currently not that well utlized (green field cloud - growing tenants)  we are monitoring to see just how much of a performance hit we get when we ramp up density.

we are considering running a VMmark tile run against a cluster that has not to date  been remediated and then against one that has (all our hosts are exactly the same).

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.  Here is a graph of CPU ready time on 1 host.  It is a summation on a 20-core server and it is a good representation of what I am seeing on most of my hosts after enabling the scheduler.  The almost flat line is how the host looked for days/weeks leading up to the change, the break is the reboot, and the spike is the result.

ReadyTime.jpg

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any update to this?

0 Kudos