VMware Cloud Community
OncallSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Templates booting up with NIC disabled

I'm having some trouble with some Server 2012 R2 templates.

Whenever I apply a customization script to it (nothing significant just DHCP + domain join) it boots up with the NIC disabled and so the customization and domain fails.

Anyone have any experience fixing this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This can happen if the network port in the template is out of sync or the port group is no longer available. Edit your template and re-join it to a port group, convert, and try the deploy again.

0 Kudos
OncallSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

The only network on the hypervisor is the default VMnetwork

I created a new Vswitch, assigned it to the template and tried to deploying again but same result.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What version of vSphere and what client are you using to deploy from template?

0 Kudos
OncallSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere 6.5.0, 8294253

Vcenter 6.7

Deploying directly from the Vcenter web interface

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Which one? HTML5 or Flex? If not sure write down the URL you're using when accessing the client.

0 Kudos
OncallSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

HTML5

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Deploy via the Flex client and see if you get the same thing happening. HTML5 client is not feature complete at that release level.

0 Kudos
OncallSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that, same issue

I even tried recreating the VM, the template conversion, and the customization policy in Flex but I get the same result.

Any chance this is the result of version mismatch between ESX 6.5 and Vcenter 6.7?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Any chance this is the result of version mismatch between ESX 6.5 and Vcenter 6.7?

I suppose that's possible, but I can't test it as I don't have that combination at my immediate disposal. You could always open an SR and ask the question.

0 Kudos