VMware Cloud Community
paraspiral
Contributor
Contributor

Replicating from vSphere 6.0 to 6.7

My current vSphere setup is on vSphere 6.0 and licensed for only Essentials for 3 instances and 18 cores   I need to use vSphere Replication to move 25 small VM's (Windows and Centos) from our current vSphere setup to the new location.   The new location I will be installing vSphere 6.7  can I do this replication on a trial license before I get the upgrade completed? 

What is wrong with my licensing that I will need to upgrade it should be Essentials Plus in order to do the vSphere replication?

Tags (2)
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

A minimum of Essentials Plus is required to use vSphere Replication. But I don't think that leap of versions is going to be supported. There may be other, better options for you to do such a migration. Do you have shared storage you can present to the 6.7 environment? Without knowing the architecture of your current and proposed new environment, it's difficult to advise further.

0 Kudos
paraspiral
Contributor
Contributor

No this is going over a WAN connection so there will be no shared storage between the old datastores and the new ones.  My only other 5 dollar idea is to try to use VEAM or use one of the NetApps we have to replicate to another one. Or use one of the new DELL's  Powervaults we have to replicate to the other one. 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

My $0.02 is to use Veeam which is more tolerant of a WAN, but you'll have to use a paid edition. This isn't covered in free.