VMware Cloud Community
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cannot access appliance manager - unable to authenticate

I'm not sure exactly, but shouldn't the password on port 5480 (for vmware appliace management) be the same as the one I'm using on the vsphere webclient? It simply won't work. I keep getting "Unable to authenticate. Try again."

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I also simply tried "root" and "vmware" as password, thinking that it might require different credentials (which might not have been changed) than the vsphere webclient.

If I connect to the server through ssh, it works with the same credentials I'm using on the webclient, but the shell is disabled (not sure why or how I can enable it - maybe by accessing the shell I might be able to change the appliance management credentials).

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Need to understand that there are differences in the user principles that can access vCSA: OS users and SSO/application users. The "administrator@vsphere.company" is not an OS user and so will not, by default, have access to SSH, console, or VAMI. Likewise, the root account will not have access to vCenter the application. So first order of business is to be able to login as root. If you can't do that, that's what you need to fix either by finding whomever has the password or using a KB article to reset it (requiring a reboot). Once you have that up and running, you really should upgrade your vCenter (probably ESXi hosts as well) since this build is a pre-Update 1 version of vCSA. At the very least get on U1.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VAMI over port 5480 should be accessible using root credentials. If root works in the console but not via the VAMI, check to ensure the root account doesn't have its password expired. This is often the cause for the issue.

0 Kudos
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Through ssh and on the web client I can connect with a user of this format: administrator@domain. (not sure why the domain doesn't have a suffix, like domain.com, but this is how it is). On the web client, of course, I have access to change whatever I please. There doesn't seem to be any restrictions. On the console through ssh, on the other hand, I cannot sudo into root (sudo su - it says: [sudo] password for nobody). I also tried 'su' directly, but at the 4th attempt it said "lcoked due to 4 failed logins".

whoami returns "nobody". I feel like in that Cyclops scene from the Odyssey! Of course, with this user I cannot access /etc/shadow or any privileges. I don't have much experience with vmware's linux distro. I see that using the shell is actually not recommended, it pushes you to use the commands in the Command> prompt. Not sure where to go from here.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, firstly, what version of vCenter are you using here? Second, when you access the console (not SSH) of the vCSA, you can or can not login as root? If you *can* login as root, when you hit the VAMI at https://<FQDN>:5480 and you login as root, what do you get? Also when logged in as root via console, what does chage -l root show?

0 Kudos
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The version is 6.5.0.5600

I can't log in using the root user anywhere.

What's even weirder is that through the console I cannot log in either using the administrator@vsphere.company (that's actually the format of the username, I didn't pay attention earlier). The password seems randomly generated, and as I can't paste it into the console, I might be typing it wrong, although I did try it very carefully two times. Through ssh it works fine by c/p.

So administrator@vsphere.company is the only username I've got, and that's the username I'm using for the web client, on which, as I've already said, I seem to have all the necessary privileges. There's no trace of a username called 'administrator' in the /etc/passwd, on the other hand, so it's obvious that it's not a system username and that the authentication is done differently (a local database etc.?)

Does that mean that I have to reset the vm and change the root password? In a tutorial I saw that the root password is also somehow connected to the grub password.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Need to understand that there are differences in the user principles that can access vCSA: OS users and SSO/application users. The "administrator@vsphere.company" is not an OS user and so will not, by default, have access to SSH, console, or VAMI. Likewise, the root account will not have access to vCenter the application. So first order of business is to be able to login as root. If you can't do that, that's what you need to fix either by finding whomever has the password or using a KB article to reset it (requiring a reboot). Once you have that up and running, you really should upgrade your vCenter (probably ESXi hosts as well) since this build is a pre-Update 1 version of vCSA. At the very least get on U1.

lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

While in the process of resetting the VAMI root password, I'm guessing the running vms in the 3-host cluster are not going to be affected, right? I'm not talking about HA, but simply about them being accessible and running correctly.

I also took a snapshot of the VAMI in case something goes wrong while doing the upgrade. I'd like to upgrade directly to 6.7 (I suppose this won't be a problem even if it's a pre update 1 build, right?). So if I encounter any problems during the update, would I normally have any trouble accessing the host on which the VAMI resides and restore it to the previous state?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VAMI is what the web page over port 5480 is called. The vCenter Server itself is called vCSA. Just so we have terms correct.

No, VMs running on ESXi hosts won't be impacted by resetting the root password to the vCSA.

As far as the upgrade is concerned (this is a major upgrade), there are more things to check here and I can't give you a good answer. This needs to be done with care since there are many things to consider. That aside, even if validated, I would personally recommend waiting for 6.7 U1 before pursuing a vSphere upgrade.

lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help. The last information especially was very helpful. I'll postpone the upgrade and in the meantime I'll just reset the root password, so as to have the server ready.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I should have clarified earlier when I said "upgrade". I actually meant "update". You can go to 6.5 U1 or even U2 if you wish. But the jump to 6.7 is considered a major "upgrade" and for that I would wait, personally, until U1 is released (which should be soon).

0 Kudos
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After I reset the root password, I ended up with this unfortunately:y

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [N7Vmacore4Http20NamedPipeServiceSpecE:0x7f009c095810] _serverNamespace = / _isRedirect = false _pipeName =/var/run/vmware/vpxd-webserver-pipe)

I'm quite sure this has nothing to do with the root reset procedure, as it was really easy and very similar to another linux distros. I'm going to open another thread on this subject. For a lot of people this simply occurred after a mere restart - not related to root reset.

Forget that. I simply had to wait a little bit more for the necessary services to load Smiley Happy I checked service-control --status-all, a bunch of them were in the 'startpending' phase. Now they've started and it works as expected.

(I'm currently updating the vCSA to U2c)

0 Kudos
kevindailey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that the applmgmt service wasn't running. See KB, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/59344.

0 Kudos