VMware Cloud Community
dcyaounde
Contributor
Contributor

What is entitlement for a cluster in vRealize

Hi,

I am troubleshooting a CPU performance problem in a vSphere cluster with vRealize. Here is the capture of the analysis view :

2018-09-11_09h30_45.png

I would like to know what is the entitlement metric for a cluster ?

How is this entitlement metric calculated ?

5 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

take a look at vCenter vRealize counters metrics Yes it is memory but still apply for CPU

also i would suggest looking at the VM that is red in the bottom line

0 Kudos
dcyaounde
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the link.

according to the link demand  and entitlement metrics are max by provisioned metric.

I tried to sum up all CPU provisioned to all VMs on the cluster plus overhead and I have something around 137 Ghz which is lower than demand (159.19 Ghz) in the above picture.

so how can demand  be higher than total provisioned CPU ?

I am really confused

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Because a VM can demand more than it has

Think of it like this. And these are in my mind the 3 most important metrics for cpu performance

Usage = The amount of CPU the VM is using (vrops counter includes the VM overhead)

Demand = The amount of CPU the VM is demanding

Contention is the difference between the two

you can have a VM using 20% CPU but demanding 70% so you contention is 50%

In this case the VM may be running slow and have performance problems ( depends on the users and what the vm is) adding more CPU wont improve the performance but just add to the bad performance because out of all the cpus assigned to the VM it is only demanding 70% so you have two may cpus assigned to your VMs or to many CPUs on the cluster

On the other side of that you can have a VM with 100% cpu usage and a demand of 120% This would indicate that the VM does not have enough cpus assigned to it.

In your case all your VMs are demanding more that you physical have. This could be down to one VM miss performing or just to many VMs on the cluster. Again i would check the VM that is in red in the bottom line

dcyaounde
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I will check the red VM and reply.

thanks for all these explanations.

0 Kudos
dcyaounde
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I checked the virtual machine in red and found that it  had 107% CPU workload.

According to above advices I think this virtual machine needs more CPU.

I also noticed DRS is on with some affinity and anti affinity rules on the cluster.

can this last fact also be the root cause ???  because total demand is less than CPU capacity of the cluster.

0 Kudos