VMware Cloud Community
muhammadusmana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two different versions of vROps pointing to single vCenter

Dear Folks,

Can anybody confirm if we can point 2 different version of vROps to a single vCenter Server appliance.

We have a scenario in which we are running VROps Standard 6.6 version and currently pointed to the vCenter Server.

We would like to evaluate vROps Advanced/Enterprise Functionality of vROps 6.7 or even 7.0 before upgrading the current environment and test the features before purchasing the Advanced/Enterprise Edition. or is it possible if we can test the advanced/enterprise features on the current 6.6 environment?

What are the ways possible to do such testing?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The simplest way I've found is to, when registering a new vSphere adapter, expand the Advanced Settings option at the bottom. Supply just some junk credentials which you know don't work--can be literally anything.

pastedImage_0.png

The adapter instance will be saved but the extension will fail to register. I'll present a warning dialogue that it couldn't register the extension but it'll let you continue. You still need to provide valid credentials that allow the adapter to collect from vSphere, just provide separate credentials under Registration user/password which will cause it to fail.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can point multiple vROps versions at the same vCenter. Keep in mind only one version can be registered as an extension at one time, so on the "second" vROps just opt not to register the extension.

0 Kudos
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Some additional information on the previous posts.

You can have multiple instances of vROps monitoring the same vCenter. It works and is fully supported.

Only one of them will be registered as a vCenter extension, but both can be collecting from it.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
muhammadusmana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your reponses. How do we make sure the the 2nd vROps does not register the extenstion with vCenter? How can we not opt to register the extension?
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The simplest way I've found is to, when registering a new vSphere adapter, expand the Advanced Settings option at the bottom. Supply just some junk credentials which you know don't work--can be literally anything.

pastedImage_0.png

The adapter instance will be saved but the extension will fail to register. I'll present a warning dialogue that it couldn't register the extension but it'll let you continue. You still need to provide valid credentials that allow the adapter to collect from vSphere, just provide separate credentials under Registration user/password which will cause it to fail.

0 Kudos