VMware Cloud Community
kylelucky
Contributor
Contributor

Failed in upload OVF file.

Hi,

I tried upload OVF file into vCenter, and met an error with message "Error: Task failed (400:BAD_REQUEST) : [ b6618ecb-3e46-4d73-b4a4-208cc7847f8a ] Validation failed for the OVF file you provided: The organization vDC does not support the virtual hardware version defined in the OVF." Is there any way to debug of this error? Becasue there is no much more message to indicate what hardware version not support.

BRs/Kyle

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue could happen due to Provider VDC is not updated to support higher versions of virtual hardware.

Please refer the KB VMware Knowledge Base

Hope this would help.

Regards

Lokesh

0 Kudos
kylelucky
Contributor
Contributor

current config of "Highest supported hardware version" is "Hardware Version 11", the highest in our vCenter.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what version of vCD and vSphere are you running, from the error message it would appear that the OVF has a higher level of virtual hardware than the cloud environment can support.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
kylelucky
Contributor
Contributor

vCD version is: 8.10.0.3879706

vSphere version is: Version 6.0.0 Build 3617395

And cloud you help to tell me how to check the OVF need what vCD version?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

where did you get the OVF from?  have you attempted to deploy it to another location and find out what the vHardware level is

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

you can always extract an OVA ... it's a tarball (tar -zxfv name.ova) with a manifest file, disk, and configuration.  Look at the configuration file (it's text) and see what the hardware level is.  Alternatively use ovftool.

If it's higher than level 11, you need to have the provider address this in vCloud Directory (I assume you're using this).  If the vCenter backing the Provider vDC is at least ESXi 6.0 with vCenter 6.0 ... then they need to change the configuration of the Provider vDC to support a higher vHardware level for the import to happen.

I have seen some providers artificially limit the vHardware level in vCloud ... but there is not a whole lot of benefit.

Example screen capture of the Provider vDC settings in vCloud Director ... but that depends if you have System Admin access, or have to as someone else to do it:

pastedImage_0.png

This drop down needs to be at least at the level of the OVF you are uploading.

0 Kudos
kylelucky
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

I find another OVF file which successfully used before. I checked this OVF and our failed OVF I found format difference:

In old OVF, the XML looks like:

<Item>

<rasd:AddressOnParent>1</rasd:AddressOnParent>

<rasd:AutomaticAllocation>true</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>

<rasd:ElementName>CD/DVD drive 1</rasd:ElementName>

<rasd:HostResource>ovf:/file/lc_6_config</rasd:HostResource>

<rasd:InstanceID>10</rasd:InstanceID>

<rasd:Parent>3</rasd:Parent>

<rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.cdrom.iso</rasd:ResourceSubType>

<rasd:ResourceType>15</rasd:ResourceType>

</Item>

And in our failed OVF, it looks like

<rasd:AddressOnParent>

</rasd:AddressOnParent>

<rasd:AutomaticAllocation>

true

</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>

And at last I update my OVF to remove all the newlines around values. And the OVF worked...

I think the two format of XML is both right but dont know why the vCD only support the former.

BRs/Kyle

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The XML is the former is strict layout. the one in the second not so strict. The real question is why the difference in format.  Was one created on ESX and the other on a Windows based Workstation?

0 Kudos