VMware Cloud Community
connector
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore Naming

Hi,

I have 2 ESXi servers in a small rack and I'm adding a local datastore to both of them.  They are actually the servers local RAID controller, 2TB's on each server.  We are going to end up with a few of these (~12) across the manufacturing site. I was thinking of naming them "datastore1", but then was thinking maybe of a better name, so thought I'd ask the community what people would call the local storage.  I thought of "Local_2TB", "LocDataStore2TB", and others.  I don't see any standards for naming or a best practice posted anywhere, so just asking.  Not a show stopper, more of a "what would you call it?".

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My naming standard for local datastores (even though I try not to use them) is to call them "<hostname>_local" where <hostname> is the shortname of the ESXi host that owns the datastore. From within vCenter's inventory (if they're joined to a common vCenter), under Datastores view I create a folder named "Local" where all these reside. This makes organization easier when you have tens, hundreds, or thousands of ESXi hosts contributing both local and shared storage.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My naming standard for local datastores (even though I try not to use them) is to call them "<hostname>_local" where <hostname> is the shortname of the ESXi host that owns the datastore. From within vCenter's inventory (if they're joined to a common vCenter), under Datastores view I create a folder named "Local" where all these reside. This makes organization easier when you have tens, hundreds, or thousands of ESXi hosts contributing both local and shared storage.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if these machines are not in a cluster, then the local datastore name does not really matter,  but if it they are in a cluster. then I tend to use (Hostname_DS##)

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410