VMware Cloud Community
Raudi
Expert
Expert

vCenter HA - content of "hosts" files

Hello,

we have a vCenter 6.5 HA installation and today i noticed that the "/etc/hosts" files are different.

On the "master" vCenter which was installed normal the hosts has a normal content, only one line:

127.0.0.1     hostname.fqdn     hostname     localhost

The passive node and the witness have a modified hosts file:

127.0.1.1     hostname.fqdn     hostname

127.0.0.1     localhost

In this state all is working normal.

But when we do a failover to get the passive to active and the active to passive, some services are not running correct. The vmware support found, that the problem is a wrong /etc/hosts file. Because when the passive become active the entrys in the hosts will not changed. it is still 127.0.1.1 to the hostname.

Now i manually swapped the content of the /etc/hosts and restarted the "vmware-vapi-endpoint" service, the warning for this service is gone.

Can someone who is also running a vCenter HA confirm, that the content is there the same? And that the content also wasn't changed during a failover?

In my view the content of the hosts files must be changed during failover, or perhaps both must be the same content. But it must be a reason, that the deployment of the passive appliance changes the hosts file.

Kind regards

Stefan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies