VMware Cloud Community
pab006
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP Proliant G10 DL380 RAID setup compatability with vmware appliance/vsphere

Hi All,

We have recently purchased 5 HP ProLiant G10 DL380 servers. One of which we intend to use for the vcenter appliance and the other 4 for vsphere 6.5 physical hosts. Each server will have two hard drives mirrored. Can I use the in built RAID controller / software to setup the raid config and the appliance/vsphere will recognise this, or do I need ti use another utility? (I have read online that if using the microserver you have to use the marvel utility otherwise esxi wont recognise the raid setup)

Sorry for the newbie question.

Kind Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

With HPE servers, you have to access the Intelligent Provisioning tool during the startup (F10),

Then you select customize the RAID, using the smart array controller tool (By default, RAID 1 created for two disks),

Then you select that your OS is VMware ESXi, and then you attach the customized ISO for HPE : https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI67-HPE&productId=742

Noting that this RAID will be recognized by ESXi host as a data-store which provision many VMs.

And also as mentioned per my colleague SupreetK, no need to specify one ESXi hosts for vcenter VM. you can install vcenter on any host and group them for use for your workload.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

1) Run the vCenter appliance as one of the VMs on the vSphere environment. Now, you get 5 ESXi hosts and can make optimum use of them.

2) I assume you would have the physical RAID controller (as in the case of conventional HPE DL380 Gen10 servers). In that case, you would not need a third party utility to configure the RAID. You can create the required RAID from the RAID configuration utility.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Use the customized ISO for HPE:

Download VMware vSphere

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

With HPE servers, you have to access the Intelligent Provisioning tool during the startup (F10),

Then you select customize the RAID, using the smart array controller tool (By default, RAID 1 created for two disks),

Then you select that your OS is VMware ESXi, and then you attach the customized ISO for HPE : https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI67-HPE&productId=742

Noting that this RAID will be recognized by ESXi host as a data-store which provision many VMs.

And also as mentioned per my colleague SupreetK, no need to specify one ESXi hosts for vcenter VM. you can install vcenter on any host and group them for use for your workload.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
timoruohomaki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The BIOS in Gen10 has apparently changed since the previous posting. Currently in the Intelligent Provisioning Tool there is Perform Maintenance -option that has Intelligent Storage Configuration and RAID Configuration but I didn't find the option to set up OS on either of them.

0 Kudos