VMware Cloud Community
JLogan2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rebooting VCSA with long running storage vMotion going

It is early where I am, 3:00 a.m., so perhaps I am not thinking this through, but if anyone could confirm for me: I have an external PSC and a VCSA where I want to update the appliances to the latest patches (6.5 U2). I have a window to do this, but it will reboot each appliance in order. I have a long-running storage vMotion going. Will the appliance reboot cause issue with this? The vMotion runs off the VAAI and should continue right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It may be too late for an answer now. Anyway, I can't tell you for sure what will happen with the currently offloaded virtual disk copy task on the storage system, but the migration task itself will be killed with a reboot, so that the required configuration/metadata changes and cleanup tasks after the copy will not be done. So the storage vMotion will most likely be unsuccessful.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It may be too late for an answer now. Anyway, I can't tell you for sure what will happen with the currently offloaded virtual disk copy task on the storage system, but the migration task itself will be killed with a reboot, so that the required configuration/metadata changes and cleanup tasks after the copy will not be done. So the storage vMotion will most likely be unsuccessful.

André

0 Kudos