VMware Cloud Community
arifr
Contributor
Contributor

Unmount and Detach active Datastores and Storage Devices from Host

We have a host running ESXi 5.1 and currently in production cluster. We plan to fresh install (not upgrade) 6.5U2. So all VMs are moved to other hosts, and the Host is disconnected. It still contains production Datastores and Storage devices (Host->Configuration->Storage->Datastores/Devices).

1. Do I need to Unmount and Detach Datastores and Detach storage devices from it before the Host is removed from the cluster for ESXi 6.5 installation?

2. If the Datastores and Storage devices are Unmounted and Detached, will it affect other Hosts in cluster? My understanding is it wont affect other hosts.

3. After Datastores and Devices are Detached, do I need to do anything on our 3PAR SAN VirtualVoume? The same VV in 3PAR SAN was exported to Host-Set (multiple Hosts) and the Host we are taking for 6.5 installation is in the Host-Set.

Thanks in advance for you reply.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Though it is not required, I would have unmounted the datastore before removing the host from the cluster just to play safe. Detaching the LUNs is not needed. Post re-installation, you might have to reconfigure the host on the 3PAR depending on what you are using to present the LUNs. If it is FC and you are using WWN, it should be fine. If it is the software IQN, it has to be modified accordingly on the SAN. If it is the hostname/IP address, I'm assuming you would retain the same hostname and IP address even with 6.5.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos