VMware Cloud Community
BDA_Deluxe
Contributor
Contributor

External PSC Migration

Current environment is External windows PSC 6.0 U3 

New Environment Has to be 6.5 U1, and is going to be External PSC that will join the existing domain.

Because of the requirements with the existing environment does not support 6.5 anything and the new environment does not support 6.0 anything I am stuck in the middle.

So what I want to do is upgrade the current PSC only to 6.5 U1 and leave the current vCenter at 6.0 U3.  Any thing that would get in my way of doing so?

Upgrade guide says upgrade the PSC first then vCenter next. 

All third party tools will be connecting to both vCenters, which is fine.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi.

VMware does not support running different versions of these components under normal operations within a vSphere Domain.

Mixed-Version Support

Now, on to the questions mentioned earlier. The first question is, “Can I run vCenter Servers and Platform Services Controllers (PSCs) of different versions in my vSphere Domain?”  The answer here is yes, but only during the time of an upgrade. VMware does not support running different versions of these components under normal operations within a vSphere Domain.

Understanding the Impacts of Mixed-Version vCenter Server Deployments - VMware vSphere Blog

VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Are your vCenter's the appliance or Windows install currently?? If you're on the Windows install currently, then go through the migration task to get them into the appliances. It will do the heavy lifting for you. The doc's go into what you'll need for information to make that happen clean. Also make sure you have port 443 open to the IPs that will be used for the temporary setup as well as the existing (for the migration).

If you're already using the appliances for parts, then it's time to pull it all into the appliance setup. You'll have to leave the PSC's external, but they can be converted into appliances. That means less Windows Server licenses to purchase, or support. VUM will also be part of the vCSA appliance (with 6.5).

0 Kudos