VMware Communities
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can anyone import a Parallels 14 VM into VMware Professional Version 10.1.3 (9472307)?

I am trying to move a VM from Parallels 14 (the new release) to VMware --- It always ends badly (corrupted virtual disk or some such).

Used to be from Parallels 13 it worked fine.

If I try the 'beta' of VMware 11 and get the file moved am I still hung since VMware 10 doesn't seem to read VM 11 files?

Any suggestions?

3 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi slgarwood

I am trying to move a VM from Parallels 14 (the new release) to VMware --- It always ends badly (corrupted virtual disk or some such).

Used to be from Parallels 13 it worked fine.

Did you use 'Import' option from Fusion 'File' menu? Did you get some prompt that says your macOS disk does not have enough space?

Could you upload support by clicking Fusion Help -> Collect Support Information? Thanks.

If I try the 'beta' of VMware 11 and get the file moved am I still hung since VMware 10 doesn't seem to read VM 11 files?

Any suggestions?

You could shutdown the Fusion 11 VM and change it to 'Use Hardware Version 14'  via VM settings -> Compatibility. BTW, you could import Parallels 14 VM using VMware Fusion 11 , is it correct?

0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. I used the Import function from beta .... that's what didn't work.

2. Did not run out of space - the error pops up after the file is copied and when Fusion is busy setting things up before it fininshes.

3. Could NOT import Parallels 14 into VMware 11.

4. I got a call on Friday from someone supposedly at VMWare - set up a call for today (Monday).

5. BTW - I tried both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19 - neither imported.

0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I finally gave up and reinstalled on Parallels --- the old Parallels VM was corrupted. After reinstall all works fine. I can even import it into VMWare.