VMware Cloud Community
wsanders11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you upgrade VSAN?

The compatibility matrix is unclear, but it looks like different versions of VSAN are incompatible with each other. Is this the case?

If, for example, a VSAN cluster is running 6.5, how do you upgrade it to 6.7?

4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

If you are on 6.5 U2, upgrading to 6.7 GA is not supported. You might have to wait for the next major release in the 6.7 tree.

VMware vSAN 6.7 Release Notes

In the above release notes, look for *Note: Upgrading from vSphere 6.5 Update 2 to vSphere 6.7 is not supported.*

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

wsanders11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. We're running a mix of 6.5.0, 5969303  and 6.5.0 Build 8294253, which seems to work OK. So we have not upgraded to 6.5 U2 yet nor do we plan to.

What's confusing me is the product interoperability chart: VMware Product Interoperability Matrices   <- That's the preset for ESXI and VSAN, except with VSAN being packaged with ESXI, that chart is really meaningless.

What I need is a chart showing which different versions of VSAN are compatible in the same cluster. Maybe VMware Product Interoperability Matrices , the VSAN upgrade path matrix, is actually the chart I need, and that anything that is shown to be compatible in the upgrade path can be assumed to coexist in a cluster, at least temporarily?

I am also baffled why VMware makes their version/build numbering chaos worse by packaging VSAN and ESXi in the same build with different version numbers. That might have made sense when VSAN patches were coming out much faster than ESXi patches but now every ESXi build comes with VOBs for VSAN and it makes no sense for anyone to upgrade them separately. Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Yep, looks like anything that is being shown in the upgrade path side by side does seem to be compatible with each other Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello wsanders11​,

Everything you may need to know is documented here:

vSAN 6.7 Upgrade Considerations

Bob