VMware Horizon Community
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM File Type Associations, Win10 LTSB, Windows Photo Viewer

Since I don't see an executable for Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 how can I use UEM to make it the default program for certain file types?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know that in order to run the program you would typically use the following command:

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe %ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll, ImageView_Fullscreen %1

But this doesn't seem to work when I put it into the UEM configuration. First of all it won't accept the quotation marks, and even if I remove them it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
smith_ll
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get any further with this, running into the same issue now.

0 Kudos
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did actually. On the gold image(s) I used an XML file in conjunction with a local GPO to make sure the Windows Photo Viewer is the default photo viewer.

I did this by first setting the machine's default applications the way I want them to be, then I exported an XML of those settings using this command from the elevated command prompt:

DISM.exe /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\DefaultApps.xml

I then took this file and put it somewhere on the gold image (e.g. C:\Customizations).

The next step was to open the local GPO editor on the gold image(s) and got to the Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer/Set a default associations configuration file setting. Enable this setting and point it to the XML file created earlier: (e.g. C:\Customizations\DefaultApps.xml).

These are my notes from when I did it several months ago so hopefully they're sufficient.

0 Kudos
smith_ll
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brill, thanks for this. I'll give it a go.

Been playing with SetUserFTA.exe to try and allow users to change this themselves if they don't like Paint but not getting much luck just yet.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
smith_ll
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the end I've set a log off task to export the configuration using UEM logoff task;

User Environment --> Logoff Task

cmd.exe /c \\FILESERVER\SetUserFTA\SetUserFTA.exe get > "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

pastedImage_14.png

I've experienced and read a few articles pointing to the logon task and the timing of it executing causing issues. To work around this I created a .bat file to import the .config file and stuck a .vbs script in the Start Up folders on my RDSH to call on the .bat so it imports the settings without the user seeing anything onscreen.

.VBS

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run chr(34) & "\\FILESERVER\SetUserFTA\FTA.bat" & Chr(34), 0

Set WshShell = Nothing

.BAT

@echo off

\\FILESERVER\SetUserFTA\SetUserFTA.exe "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

I also have these registry settings set as part of my Personalization --> Windows Settings --> Default Apps and FTA configuration

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\Software\Classes

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Software

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config

Hopefully this helps someone.

0 Kudos