VMware Cloud Community
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Physical MAC to VNIC

After P2V, I want to add same  Mac address as Physical nic to VM NIC  But i am getting belwo error

Please help me

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 13-55-46.png

5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

When you chose 'Manual' option, the first three bits are automatically populated. You need to remove those and then put your MAC address -

pastedImage_0.png

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Choose a MAC from the VMware Range

2. Edit the *.vmx directly on the ESXi and change it into the mac of your choice.

grep -n -i  ethernet *.vmx

3. Start the VM directly from the shell (only one time needed). If you use the GUI i often see that the old Address is populated again.  If it works you can see that that MAC is now greyed out in the GUI.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the classic vSphere client, which - according to the screenshot you are using - you may need to manually edit the VM's configuration (.vmx) file, and add/modify/remove:

ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "FALSE" <-- add this line

ethernet0.addressType = "static" <-- modify the value

ethernet0.address = "12:34:56:78:ab:cd" <-- add this line with the desired MAC address

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:xx:xx:xx" <-- remove this line

Once done, you need to reload the VM (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043​)

I just tested this using the Embedded Host Client, which allows to do the modifications directly from the GUI, i.e. setting the desired static ("Manual") MAC-Address, and add "ethernet0.checkMACAddress" in "VM Options" -> "Advanced" -> "Edit Configuration ..." -> "Add Parameter".

André

admin
Immortal
Immortal

you may need to manually edit the VM's configuration (.vmx) file

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

neyla12

You are welcome to participate in the discussion, but it relally doesn't make much sense to simply copy&paste parts of other user's replies.

André