VMware Communities
deepak1501
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware workstation pro 14, how to increase Ubuntu server client partition size?

Hello,
I am using vmware workstation pro 14, my host is Mint 19 and guest is Ubuntu server 18.04
Server has only one partition and df -m shows 20 gb, I increased the server memory in hardware settings of vmware as 30GB. How do I expand the partition size to 30 GB.
Will I be able to open the client's disk in gparted from the host (Mint 19) If yes how do I do that?
Thank you for any help,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, gparted is your friend.

Lou

0 Kudos
deepak1501
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But how do I run gparted on client from the server machine is my question,

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You run it in the VM. Increasing disk size in host does not change the VM.

Lou

Edit:

1. Boot VM and run gparted

2. Boot VM and use fdisk (or SSH into VM and run it)

3. Boot a live disk in the VM and run gparted from there. There are live disks just for gparted.

0 Kudos
deepak1501
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cant expand file system when the vm is booted as to expand it it has to be unmounted, Hence I have to boot from usb and expand the file system.

I booted from USB in Vmware using plop.iso, but I cant see the disk of my other system which I want to expand.

Os there any pther way please?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Download the  gparted livecd iso file and boot from that and run it. You have to run it in the VM, not the host. Just run the VM but boot from the iso, not the hard drive. Hit esc to get to boot menu. If you need time to catch it, put

bios.bootdelay = "5000"

in your vmx file to give you a 5 second delay.

Now, run gparted, tell it to scan the drives and expand your drive.

0 Kudos
deepak1501
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I downloaded gparted booted in vmware client . Asked it to refresh the HDDs. Yet the VMware HDD is not detected. I am really  stuck up.

0 Kudos