VMware Cloud Community
qaeltas
Contributor
Contributor

Vmdk data store files deleted by vmware

hi there,

I modified my vmx files for change my snapshot directory regardling the kb VMware Knowledge Base

When i want to register my vm, vmware tell me some error like

vmware don't find the virtual disk "/vmfs/volumes/59de66ee-fd4ae476-6beb-000af7c91a18/DATA-AD/AL33-SYS-AD/AL33-SYS-AD_1.vmdk".

this file already exist and when i gone to the datastore where the file is, i see vmware deleted the file ..

Why ?

How to restore the file ?

9 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do which files of the virtual machine do you have. As i can see that is not the first disk.

0 Kudos
qaeltas
Contributor
Contributor

i have the sys file with vmdk and flat-vmdk but lost the data file and flat vmdk.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you rename that virtual machine in the past? I am asking you this because if you did it the virtual machine remains the same in the datastore and maybe it has an older name

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

.vmdk file is a descriptor file and  if only descriptor file is missing you can have it created .

flat.vmdk is actuall data file which cant be recreated , unless you have a valid back up of VM and restore it from back up.

VMware Knowledge Base  This explains you on how to create descriptor file.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

qaeltas
Contributor
Contributor

i know the vmdk file il only a descriptor and flat is the raw data.

My question is : Why vmware deleted the flat and vmdk file after modifiying the vmx file of the vm....

Can i "reset" or do an undelete command or undo or something else.

My last backup for this vm was on 16/07/18 ...

0 Kudos
qaeltas
Contributor
Contributor

no, i never renaming the vm

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No you cant, if the disk was deleted from the datastore you have to restore it from a backup.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Sorry to say but there is no option to undo the changes with respective to disk or restore within vmware with respective to disk unless you have back up.

you can try one thing :

If you have snapshot taken earlier try to revert back so that you dont miss on data what is been written at time of removal of that disk .

Also to keep you update, vmware doesnt delete any vmdk automatically.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hello de saint jean sebastian

Please accept my apology for the answers you received until now.

Unfortunately we have to live with a rising number of over-motivated users that apparently do not check the stuff they write
against any ethical codec such as for example the Hippocratic oath
| ethical code | Britannica.com

Do not post if there exists a risk that the given advice is dangerous / harmful.

Do not post if there are any doubts about the previous question.

For your future reference ....

I highly recommend to be very very careful when you read posts that have a line like this:

If in doubt please ignore these guys.

The motivation of these guys is questionable.

Probably they are replying to your question because they see a chance to earn some quick reward points.

The following statements that you have seen in this post:

- If you have snapshot taken earlier try to revert back so that you dont miss on data what is been written at time of removal of that disk .

-Sorry to say but there is no option to undo the changes with respective to disk or restore within vmware with respective to disk unless you have back up.
Are first of all no help for you at all.
Second they are not correct - or do not give you the complete story.
But this 2 are comparably harmless - this advice is the one that really makes me angry:
> VMware Knowledge Base  This explains you on how to create descriptor file.

Using that advice in your scenario would be one of the most stupid mistakes ever.
This tip is one of the most dangerous pieces of VMware documentation that exist inside the Knowlegebase

When ever you see someone recommend that KB you can safely assume that that guy is:
- clueless
- never has tried that stuff himself
- does not care what the consequences will be.

@

Consider this as a  warning - if I see that you continue to post BS like this again I will use my influence here to make sure that this forum only has to deal with one of us.
Dude - the vast majority of the users here will do all they can to offer good support - some of us do this since 15 years or more.
We will not allow guys that post according to the rule "more is better" 
will spoil the overall good results this community has acchieved  so far.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@

Sorry for that  rant - nothing of that has to do anything with you ...
Lets get to work.
Please immediatly stop all activities on that datastore - if you have not already done so.
Then read my instructions here: Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production | VM-Sickbay
If we are lucky we may be able to restore the lost files.
Once I have seen the dump-file I can give you a reliable answer.
If possible call me via skype so that we can discuss your options ....
Ulli
skype = sanbarrow