VMware Communities
infonet
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.2. Linux: Three machines are too much

To start one machine is perfect.
To start a second machine causes some intermediate waiting time until work on this machine goes on.
Starting a third machine nearly stops everything (host and clients).
It looks like the memory allocation has some problems (system monitor).

Host:
ubuntu 64-bit 18.04.1
32 GB memory
AMD A8-5500

Host RAM for all virtual machines: 27692 MB

Clients:
debian9 or MintMate19 or ubuntu18

64 bit each

2 GB of memory each

OfficeApps like LibreOffice and Thunderbird, everything works perfect on its own, nothing runs in parallel.
On some days, rsync on the host for backup.  A running VMwareClient does not work properly even if rsync already finished.

I love VMware Workstation Pro, thanks for this excellent product.
To use different machines is
- to separate fields of activity,
- to get knowledge in different operating systems,
- and to create small machines with little important data that can be backupped speedily.

I look forward to any idea.
Best regards,  *** heinz ***

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't know if this is any help. I saw similar when I changed video cards from an older NVIDIA to an AMD Radeon 5100. At the same time I upgraded the host to Mint Mate 19. I could run 1 VM without problems, Windows or Linux. I had so many hangs, it became unusable, It would usually recover but I would have to wait. The Kubuntu VM was the worst and seemed to I tried both the proprietary drivers and the drivers installed by Linux. Nothing helped. I returned the AMD card and put the old card back in. I am now running the following VM's:

W10 VM

W10 VM (different version)

Kubuntu

W7

Mint19

Similar specs to you, 32GB host, 6 core Xeon.

The Kubuntu VM seems a little sluggish when going in and out but works OK. I did NOT check to make sure the AMD card was on the supported list for WS14, should have.

Lou

0 Kudos