VMware Communities
sdmp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM has black screen in viewer, but running thumbnail

I have an intermittent problem where my VMs (both Windows and Linux) will boot to a black screen in the viewer, but if I go look at the thumbnails I can see the login screen for that OS. Further, I tried enabling VNC connections and I can actually use the VM with a VNC viewer like Real VNC. From what I've read in trying to trouble shoot this problem, it seems to be related to these issues:

All VMs Start with Black Screen

VMware 14 Launch Virtual system black screen

VMware Workstation 14 runs slowly with a system-wide VPN enabled and guests are stuck with black scr...

I have a VPN and firewall installed by my company's IT department but I have no way of disabling it. What do I need request IT to unblock to allow VMWare to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frodo
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hello, sdmp

Thanks a lot for your posting. One quick question here is what Workstation version you are using. Is it the latest version 14.1.3? if not, Could you please upgrade to the latest one to see whether this issue gets happened as well? in WS14.1.3 we have resolved blackscreen issue, not sure whether it could resolve your case. Anyway, let's see.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

B.R

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
frodo
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hello, sdmp

Thanks a lot for your posting. One quick question here is what Workstation version you are using. Is it the latest version 14.1.3? if not, Could you please upgrade to the latest one to see whether this issue gets happened as well? in WS14.1.3 we have resolved blackscreen issue, not sure whether it could resolve your case. Anyway, let's see.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

B.R

0 Kudos
sdmp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, it does appear to be fixed in 14.1.3. The update server was blocked so I never got the update from 14.1.2.

0 Kudos
akoppel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please take a look at the other message "MKS to many socket attempts". The problem is similar, I got a black screen while running one of my Linux-VMs. The Problem was new with 14.1.3.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,akoppel

Thanks for the information. Our colleague is tracking issue in post of "MKS: too many socket attempts after upgrading to 14.1.3 build-9474260" if that is the exact on you mentioned. Thanks again.

0 Kudos