VMware Cloud Community
echo0blivion
Contributor
Contributor

Remote connect to host externally

So ive got an esxi server being a huge pain. I need my co worker to connect to this server from across the state, and the methods ive tried so far have not worked. ive tried an openvpn access server, ive tried a vshphere client connection, ive forwarded all the ports, and still nothing. All the methods i can find haven't worked. id really appreciate any ideas or help, thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

Could you please let me know what version of esxi you are using ?

What error do you get when you try to access ? any screen shot

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
echo0blivion
Contributor
Contributor

using esxi 6.0, vsphere 6.7, and the error is on somebody elses computer, it basically says host unreachable, when trying to connnect from his machine.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

From there computer( from where they are trying to connect to host) are they able to ping host ?

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Kindly find the following article related to all ports needed for vmware components: VMware Knowledge Base

Regarding ESXi access from remote client, Below lists the TCP and UDP ports, and the purpose and the type of each.

Port:

443 (HTTPS)

Type:
TCP (Inbound TCP to ESXi Host)

Purpose:
HTTPS access

vSphere Client access to vCenter Server

vSphere Client Access to ESXi hosts

vSphere Client access to vSphere update Manager

Port:

Type:
TCP/UDP (Inbound TCP to ESXi host, outgoing TCP from ESXi host, outgoing UDP from the ESXi host.)

Purpose:
vSphere Client access to virtual machine consoles

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need port 902 and 443. Port 22 also required if you want to set shell access.

0 Kudos