VMware Horizon Community
lucasitteam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows as Service Model and Instant/Linked Clone Deployment

This is more of a question directed to the Product Managers.

It is well known fact that Windows 10 is moving way faster in releasing features which are either poorly tested or pushing feature Enterprise VDI Desktop would hardly use. e.g. I cannot personally imagine Corporate infrastructure using Cortana inside VDI Desktop. Of course, I cannot ignore corner cases. There are so many such features which VDI enabled enterprise do not have little to no use cases. Can we disable it? Right. Yeah we can disable them then it pops some error which we have no idea be it MS or VMW.

My conclusion so far is features are simply breaking image and which leads to huge impact to the end users. There is either a feature which bring multiple issues which neither GSS has seen and neither has MS has seen. It only adds the frustration time and windows 10 is releasing every 6 months or 12 months. Master Image stabilization takes 3 months (This include 3rd party software compatibility), but then in another 9 months you have to start the similar process again.

MS have simply line to state "Remove VMware optimization" and then come to us. There are many lines I can type about this conversation between GSS and MS Support. But that would filter the purpose of this conversation

My question/queries :-

1. is Horizon team acknowledge this an challenge corporate people are facing ?
  2. Are you explore or optimizing anything to help VDI environment to adapt to of Windows as a Service?
  3. Is linked clone/Instant model valid any more. Should be go back to MDT which MS conveniently pushes ignoring the numerous advantage you get with linked/instant clone.

Please do not read my message as deployment model is broken, it rather changes brought into Windows as a Service model is breaking overall solution. Had your engineering done anything in this direction?

If your answer is check with MS,then I guess other than dropping Windows 10 there is no other choice. It also means I do not need Horizon if I'm dropping Windows 10. I can go with embedded OS. Please note we acknowledge the fact that everyone is moving to cloud, there are at least 30% organization who cannot go to cloud today for x reasons.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'll agree that it's not perfect but VMware has outlined their stance on dealing with the new Microsoft Windows-as-a-Service model.

Windows 10 Guest OS support FAQ for Horizon 7.x and 6.x (51663)

0 Kudos