VMware Cloud Community
vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to change vmkernel mac-address without reboot?

Hello,

ESXi 6.7

How to change (to pNIC mac) vmkernel mac-address without reboot?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

I think recreating the vmkernel port will help here -

VMK0 MAC Change | Favoritevmguy

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not see mac-address in your link

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Please check the screenshots in the link. You will notice the change in the MAC address. Do you want to assign a custom MAC?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please read my first post - i need change to pNIC mac

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Looks like you just modified your query post Smiley Wink There was no mention of pNIC in that before. Now to answer your query, most of the advanced configuration changes will require a reboot. You can either run the command <esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /Net/FollowHardwareMac> or edit the esx.conf file to manually change the MAC address. However, both will require a reboot.

VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I typed in the command esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /Net/FollowHardwareMac and rebooted the host, but the mac-address has not changed.

How to change mac-address?

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Running the above command will set the vmk MAC to the active uplink which, might be vmnic0. If you want to assign a custom MAC, you have to edit the esx.conf file to change the below parameter for the respective vmkernel port -

/net/vmkernelnic/child

Cheers,

Supreet

vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running the above command not work.

Yes, i want set vmk mac-address to physical nic mac-address

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

If the above command did not work, you have to manually set the vmkernel MAC address to the pNIC MAC by editing the parameter </net/vmkernelnic/child> from the esx.conf file. Do it only for the required vmkernel NICs.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos