3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 8:49 AM by a.p.

Extending an Internal Virtual Switch to 2nd Host in vCenter

BenKell Lurker

Hey Guys -

As I recently added a 2nd ESXi host to my home lab, I have installed vCenter (everything is 6.7) to learn a bit more about it as I haven't used it in quite some time.  I've already added both ESXi hosts and was planning to migrate a couple of VMs, but hit a rockblock which I wanted to post a question about, please.  First, below is a basic overview of the ESXi host I'm trying to migrate from:

• 2 Networks - Standard one connected to ethernet + virtual (Internal) one not assigned to any hardware
      • VMs on this host use one of the two networks only except for the domain controller VM which has 2 NICs assigned to each as it routes internet and outside resources from the Standard network to the Internal one.  This way I can have my Windows servers lab on a dedicated network / domain but still have internet and access to things on my primary workstation

The issue is that when I try to migrate a VM (which has a single NIC on the Internal network), I'm prompted saying that the new ESXi host doesn't have the Internal Network. 

Overall, it wouldn't be an issue for me to add a matching Internal network on my 2nd ESXi host, however; I need to two Internal networks on each host to be able to communicate.  For instance, if I migrate my SCCM server to the new host with matching Internal network; I would still need it to be able to contact the Domain Controller on the internal network on the other host.  It seems this is where a distributed switch would come into play, but wanted to check first.

Hope that makes sense - Any suggestions?  Thanks! 

Extra Credit: Would it be easy to migrate the VM which hosts vCenter to a different host?  I want to move it, but not worth it if much more than a basic migration.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Extending an Internal Virtual Switch to 2nd Host in vCenter
          a.p. Guru
          Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

What you need is a physical connection between the two "Internal" networks, i.e. another network adapter in your hosts (or VLANs configured, if your switch supports this) that you can use for this connection. I'm not sure whether a direct connection will work, or if you need to connect the two networks via a physical switch.

Would it be easy to migrate the VM which hosts vCenter to a different host?

That depends on your license, and/or storage. With local storage only, you will need at least Essentials Plus licensing to migrate powered on VMs. If you have shared storage, you may shut down the VM, remove it from the current host's inventoy, add it to the other host's inventory, and power it on again.

André

• 2. Re: Extending an Internal Virtual Switch to 2nd Host in vCenter
            BenKell Lurker

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I was afraid of.  The "Internal" network is currently 100% virtual on a single host and as this is a lab using spare equipment, each host currently only has 1 single NIC used for the "Standard" network which are obviously connected via physical switch.  My hope was that I could duplicate the "Internal" network on the 2nd host, then perhaps configure vCenter to connect the two "Internal" networks on both hosts using a virtual switch or something.

Based on your reply, perhaps this feature is available, but depends on the license.  If so, what exactly would be required?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Extending an Internal Virtual Switch to 2nd Host in vCenter
              a.p. Guru
              Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

Unfortunately no, networks between hosts require a physical connection, unless someone invents a virtual network cable ;-)

André