VMware Cloud Community
dtsaimos
Contributor
Contributor

SR-IOV promiscuous mode

Hi all,

we are trying to set up a CentOS VM on ESXi 6.7 with Intel 82599EB pNICs, where the VM NICs are SR-IOV passthrough NICs.

The application that will be running in the VMs needs to be able to capture all packets arriving at the physical NIC (pNIC).

SR-IOV seems to be properly set-up in the ESXi-host (where the ixgben driver latest version is used - 1.7.1)

lspci|grep -i ethernet

0000:02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet [vmnic0]

0000:02:00.1 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet [vmnic1]

0000:02:00.2 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet [vmnic2]

0000:02:00.3 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet [vmnic3]

0000:0b:10.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function [PF_0.11.0_VF_0]

0000:0b:10.1 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function [PF_0.11.1_VF_0]

0000:0b:10.2 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function [PF_0.11.0_VF_1]

0000:0b:10.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function [PF_0.11.1_VF_1]

On the guest, the VF driver is set-up and the ixgbevf driver is loaded

lspci |grep -i ethernet

13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function (rev 01)

The SR-IOV NIC in the guest OS is associated to a vSwitch, and a port group.

The port group VLAN ID is set to 4095.

The vSwitch promiscuous mode, mac changes and forged transmits are allowed.

However the guest OS NIC only receives multicast, broadcast and packets with the guest OS NIC MAC address; the

packets seems to be cut-off by the pNIC layer2 sorter.

Therefore I would like to ask

a. does SR-IOV support promiscuous mode on the VF (queuing all packets received by the PF to the VF queue)?
b. is there a way to instruct the pNIC to route incoming packets with a specific range of VLAN IDs to a particular VF?

We attempted to set the vSwitch VLAN ID to one of the VLANs received by the pNICs, but the results were the same as

setting the VLAN ID to 4095 - i.e. only broadcast, multicast and packets destined for the VM were received in the guest.

c. If a. or b. are true, are the packet VLAN headers preserved all the way up to the guest OS, or are they stripped by the pNIC?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
aptklassen
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I don't know the answer to this but was wondering if you ever made any progress?

0 Kudos
sfc9982
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I don't know the answer to this but was wondering if you ever made any progress?

0 Kudos