VMware Cloud Community
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

H5 Client Tasks and Events Display Issue with x27 / Apostrophe (and others)

pastedImage_0.png

I called a VM ole'windows2012r2 in vCenter 6.7.  When taking and removing snapshots, the Recent Tasks pane incorrectly displays the x27 character code.

Even though it displays correctly in the Hosts & Clusters view here:

pastedImage_1.png

If anyone from support sees this, is there already an engineering report for this?  I know it's small, but kinda silly that parts of the UI render differently and should be an easy fix to correctly display the characters.

I think it's a generic issue encoding the characters, since a " also does something similar:

pastedImage_3.png

vCenter is build 8546293

ESXi is build 8941472

From tasks/event I see

pastedImage_4.png

From Hosts and clusters tree, I see:

pastedImage_13.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware recommend you avoid using special charters within VM names and datastores.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

KB 2046088 use to be around for special characters in VM names ... but it's no longer published.

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I've notice that as well, most of the articles about special charters seem to have.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Where is that referenced?  I've been trying to find supporting documentation around that, but the last KB I saw published is no longer available from kb.vmware.com.

Also, it's just a display name ... and I know they use it in the pathing, but the VM originated as windows2012r2 ... and has not be SvMotioned to re-create the DIRs.

I personally think it's kind of silly to be this resistant to any special character in some places but not others.  If it wasn't allowed, then don't let me rename the VM to include offending characters.

0 Kudos