VMware Communities
Squareball
Contributor
Contributor

Remote access and shared VMs confusion

Hi,

I've installed Workstation Pro on a Windows Server 2016 machine. I've also got Workstation Pro installed on a Windows 10 client.

I want to be able to connect to the Workstation Pro installation on the server from the Windows 10 Workstation Pro. I can do this by enabled remote access\sharing on the server but I don't want to use shared VMs as they don't appear to work as I expected.

When I had ESX installed on the server I could remotely connect from my Windows 10 Workstation Pro installation and create and view VMs with ease.

But, if I enable remote access\sharing on the server's Workstation Pro installation I can create a VM from the Windows 10 client but I can't see or use the host only networks that I've created on the server's Workstation Pro installation. On the server I've created three host only networks and configured their names and subnet - these aren't visible when creating a VM remotely. Why is this?

I don't understand the concept of a shared VM. What's shared? I don't want to 'share' a VM - I just want to use the client's Workstation Pro installation to connect to, view and manage VMs on another Workstation Pro installation (on the server in this case).

Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
0 Replies