VMware Horizon Community
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Driver Crash During Completion Process

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue when trying to capture an App Stack for NetOP Vision Pro. Everything works perfectly until I hit the completion button. Then when the system reboots keyboard and mouse drivers for NetOP have an issue. I can then no longer RDP and cannot send CTRL-ALT-DEL to the console session either. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I see this in the event log.
All are Kernel-PnP event ID 219
The driver \Driver\mekbd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0303\4&1bd7f811&0.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device ACPI\VMW0003\4&1bd7f811&0.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_00\8&1230c469&0&0000.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_01\8&3608022b&0&0000.
The driver \Driver\mekbd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0303\4&1bd7f811&0.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device ACPI\VMW0003\4&1bd7f811&0.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_00\8&1230c469&0&0000.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device HID\VID_0E0F&PID_0003&MI_01\8&3608022b&0&0000.
The driver \Driver\mekbd failed to load for the device TERMINPUT_BUS\UMB\2&2c22bcc9&0&Session2Keyboard0.
The driver \Driver\memice failed to load for the device TERMINPUT_BUS\UMB\2&2c22bcc9&0&Session2Mouse0.
The driver \Driver\mekbd failed to load for the device TERMINPUT_BUS\UMB\2&2c22bcc9&0&Session2Keyboard1.

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Okay we found the solution thanks to your info wvalentine.

It seems as if Netop (haven't tried with SiteKiosk yet) creates drivers in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder which eventually wrecks the drivers in Windows apparently.

What you need to do is this.

1. Create an appstack, do not start provisioning yet

2. Attach the appstack to a machine that does NOT have an appvolumes agent on it and attach it persistent, give it a drive letter (the appstack).

3. Open the snapvol.cfg on the root of the disk and add the following line  exclude_path=%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers. I'd suggest putting it beneath the line of the driverstore exclusions. just search for it in the snapvol.cfg.

4. Remve the disk from the machine.

5. Start provisioning, install the application.... --> Proft! Smiley Happy

It could be that some mouse or keyboard drivers dont work, so I think you cannot block the mouse and keyboard anymore but we never had that function working anyway and luckily we don't use it..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

Yes we are experiencing the exact same issue here. Just to make things more complicated we also have this issue with an application called SiteKiosk.

If we package the application while NOT sequencing we are able to log in after installation and reboot.

It seems as if Appvolumes does something funky with the mouse and/or keyboard drivers, it locks it up.

We have an SR running on the subject, it is SR18883978808, maybe you can raise a call with VMWare also?

And we also found out that it does not matter if you use 2.13.3.12 or 2.14.x, same issue with both versions.

If you do happen to find a solution, please let us know. If we find anything I will let you know as well.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Okay we found the solution thanks to your info wvalentine.

It seems as if Netop (haven't tried with SiteKiosk yet) creates drivers in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder which eventually wrecks the drivers in Windows apparently.

What you need to do is this.

1. Create an appstack, do not start provisioning yet

2. Attach the appstack to a machine that does NOT have an appvolumes agent on it and attach it persistent, give it a drive letter (the appstack).

3. Open the snapvol.cfg on the root of the disk and add the following line  exclude_path=%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers. I'd suggest putting it beneath the line of the driverstore exclusions. just search for it in the snapvol.cfg.

4. Remve the disk from the machine.

5. Start provisioning, install the application.... --> Proft! Smiley Happy

It could be that some mouse or keyboard drivers dont work, so I think you cannot block the mouse and keyboard anymore but we never had that function working anyway and luckily we don't use it..

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds promising, I'm giving it a try right now.

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So far I was able to make the two App Stacks for Teacher and Student module with that adjustment. I had other issues with the student module if I set it to start at windows, I had to set it to start after windows starts for it to work properly. This means the student will be able to disconnect from the class, but it's not the worst thing. Now I need to test it in action and make sure it connects.

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for this. It worked reasonably well. I at least have a working solution for now. It does prevent the teacher module from auto launching and the student module can only load after login. Prefer the students not to be able to kill it. But not a big deal for now.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey wvalntine,

Did you happen to open up a call at Netop? We received a message from them that they had a similar call then ours Smiley Happy. Was just curious to find out how they deal with these kinds of things.

And the problem is that for the machine to be closed down entirely you would need to install a kernel driver. The only way to fix that is to install the application in the golden image and to be honest it's not something I would like to do.

In our use case teachers just start the application and create an open enrollment classroom. Then students need to manually start up the application (you could automate this process but we deliver the application to all students always, also when not using the software) and sign into the open enrollment classroom. This works quite well and using VDI is a valid option. If you do want to have more control you either need to go to physical machines or install student module in base image.

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ray,

Yes, I had opened up a call to NetOP same day I opened this, I needed to get as many leads out there as possible as I need to be deploying like right now for fall classes. I never heard anything at all.  I figured it was putting tentacles into the system. I wouldn't install it in the gold either, it only applies certain places. So I would need a gold image just for that, and two of them. No way.

For the teacher station I have a configuration file that get imported via a script based on the beginning of the machine name and it imports the room. I'm switching to instant clones now so it won't be as pretty as I have to now account for the number of potential VMs in the room, so some will show up blank.  I was using Unidesk and didn't have any issues with NetOP Vision.

I need to keep it as simple as possible, the user excepts to have to do nothing here.

0 Kudos