VMware Cloud Community
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM Unable to Connect to vSphere Gateway

I have a vSphere host A (192.168.1.141) and the host gateway is 191.168.1.1. I have set up VM B (192.168.1.199), VM B can connect to the gateway. Then I set up VM C (192.168.1.39), this time, I cannot connect, even ping the gateway (192.168.1.1) but I have already turn off the windows firewall. Anything I have done wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help, I have just asked system admin, he replied that specific MAC addresses are configured for the VMs. After I input the MAC address assigned by him, the VM can connect to the gateway now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is VM-C connected to the right network? Can you share some pics of your host network configuration, VM network connection from VM --> Edit Settings tab and the VM network configuration from within the guest OS (ipconfig or ifconfig)?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. In fact, VM C (192.168.1.39) can ping the vSphere host A (192.168.1.141) and VM B (192.168.1.199). Attached please find the NIC config and IP config.

Svr2012_Network.png

Svr2012_IP_Config.png

0 Kudos
bdv4u
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Mats_Hardy thanks for sharing the screenshots, As we understand the VM is connected to the VM Network, with the defined Static IP allocations on the Guest,

For Network isolations/Disconnections: We would highly recommend to follow the Action plan.

1. During the VM Network outage, Do make sure to have the VM console access enabled, and validate if the VM is able to reach to other VMs of the same VM Portgroup (locally) of the same host and other hosts (from outside).

2. Also, see the ARP references on the VM Guest, (# arp -a) and see if the GW IP is getting Populated by default, it shd always be dynamically updated. This validates if the Default Gateway is reachable or not.

If the access to VM is fine, but they are not able to populate the Gateway info, We need to validate the ARP references on the Physical CAM table entries. Do clear the ARP cache, and/or update the same to ensure all the VM MAC references are populated correctly.

Note:

ESXi do not holds any VM ARP Cache details, however it maintains only the ARP cache initiated/associated with the VMKernel instance. ( To check, # esxcli network ip neighbor list)

Refer to the Following articles for more details.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003893

3. To address any Network disconnections, and packet analysis, we have the following references. As these issues are to be addressed realtime and check from different endpoints ( Network Switch/FI/Firewall/vCenter etc.. )

From vSphere side, we can try to see if the ESXi host which holds the running VM instance, has sent the RARP request to update the MAC table on the Switch. You may simply try to vMotion the VM to another host, to update the entires.

The following actions can be performed at the vNIC level,

a. Disable the Graticious ARP

b. Disable Autoconfigured IP and TCPIP Winsock Resets

c. Added the Local DNS records on the Hosts file, for addressing the DNS and IPv6 issues.

d. Confirmed ipv6 is disabled.

e. DHCP client is also disabled

f. Ensured the VM is running on the latest instance of vmxnet3 Drivers.

For Guest level troubleshooting,

a. We need to address False/Zombie Adapter issues https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1020718

b. AutoConfiguration IP (DHCP) enabled by default, need to disable them.

# netsh interface ipv4 show inter

# netsh interface ipv4 set interface 'X' dadtransmits=0 store=persistent

c. Registry entries & TCPIP WinSock activities

{refer to the Windows registry settings. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\}

Resetting TCP Winsock, followed with reboot.

>netsh i i r r

>netsh winsock reset

Note: Please make a note of the IP settings with G/W address, along with the DNS entries before performing a TCP Winsock Reset.

Regards,

BDV

0 Kudos
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. In fact, the VM host does not have any external gateway. The gateway is installed by default on VM host. Besides, I have checked the ARP table on both VM B and VM C. Both are the same. The MAC address of gateway (192.168.1.1) should be correct on VM C but cannot be pinged. Attached please find the screen dump.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just a thought.

What type/model of physical switch do you use? Some switches have port security enabled on their ports by default, which limits the number of simultaneous allowed MAC addresses. Depending on the switch model, such a feature may be called differently (e.g. Desktop Mode, ...). Changing the port to e.g. Access Mode solves will do in such cases.

André

0 Kudos
bdv4u
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So the ARP references show the Gateway Address. It shd more likely be a ARP cache issue, I am sure, if you vMotion/clear arp cache on the Network Switch it should very well update the MAC table entries, and should start communicating to the Gateway.

Do follow the earlier mentioned troubleshooting options, to address them in detail.

Hope that helps, I am open for any further queries or assistance.

Happy to help !

Regards,

BDV

0 Kudos
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help, I have just asked system admin, he replied that specific MAC addresses are configured for the VMs. After I input the MAC address assigned by him, the VM can connect to the gateway now.

0 Kudos