VMware Cloud Community
drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it a good idea to install tools and schedule a VM hardware(version)upgrade during the same reboot?

Hey guys, I just inherited an older 6.0 cluster and the tools and hardware versions are pretty old(mostly VM versions 7,8,& 11).  I have a new 6.5 cluster and have migrated most of the VMs across and need to get the tools updated first, and thinking it would also be good to get some of the hardware updated at the same time.  It sounds like VMWare does not recommend upgrading you hardware, unless there is a reason.  My backup solution(Rubrik) does not officially support restoring a VM unless it is hardware level 8.  So I am thinking, I at least need to get there for all VMs, but have a few questions. 1. If I tell all my VMs(servers)to install Tools(automatic) and hold for reboot(with the various command switches) and leave them all pending, will that cause any issues with dropped network(when nic driver updates, etc)?  Has anyone ever done that against 100+ servers? 2. Should I go after trying to get all my VM versions updated all the way, or not? (I know I could take snapshots and failback) The other option is to follow VMWare's advice and leave them alone? 3. If I do tell a server to upgrade tools(automatic), and hold the reboot(with the advanced option command) .  Then I power it off, upgrade hardware version, and power it back on all in the same reboot.  Is that an issue? Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. If I tell all my VMs(servers)to install Tools(automatic) and hold for reboot(with the various command switches) and leave them all pending, will that cause any issues with dropped network(when nic driver updates, etc)?

Usually not, but, in general, this should be something you hold for a short and not long time. It's a mixed bag because you never know what exactly they updated in that version, so your results may vary over time.

2. Should I go after trying to get all my VM versions updated all the way, or not? (I know I could take snapshots and failback) The other option is to follow VMWare's advice and leave them alone?

Generally speaking, if you don't absolutely need any features or functionality in a given hardware version, there's not a good reason to upgrade. The exceptions are backup software compatibility and Spectre vulnerability patching (v10 needed). Other than that, probably don't want to roll the dice. And I'd especially not recommend updating to the latest hardware version, again, unless you're doing so to fix a specific problem. More often than not, bugs related to hardware occur in the latest one available.

3. If I do tell a server to upgrade tools(automatic), and hold the reboot(with the advanced option command) .  Then I power it off, upgrade hardware version, and power it back on all in the same reboot.  Is that an issue?

Yes, that is an issue and don't do it. You need to upgrade tools, reboot, ensure the VM is up and the new version took, and then upgrade hardware. Reason being that newer hardware has a requirement on newer VMware Tools, and so if you attempt to do them together you could put yourself in a no-boot situation which is obviously no good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. If I tell all my VMs(servers)to install Tools(automatic) and hold for reboot(with the various command switches) and leave them all pending, will that cause any issues with dropped network(when nic driver updates, etc)?

Usually not, but, in general, this should be something you hold for a short and not long time. It's a mixed bag because you never know what exactly they updated in that version, so your results may vary over time.

2. Should I go after trying to get all my VM versions updated all the way, or not? (I know I could take snapshots and failback) The other option is to follow VMWare's advice and leave them alone?

Generally speaking, if you don't absolutely need any features or functionality in a given hardware version, there's not a good reason to upgrade. The exceptions are backup software compatibility and Spectre vulnerability patching (v10 needed). Other than that, probably don't want to roll the dice. And I'd especially not recommend updating to the latest hardware version, again, unless you're doing so to fix a specific problem. More often than not, bugs related to hardware occur in the latest one available.

3. If I do tell a server to upgrade tools(automatic), and hold the reboot(with the advanced option command) .  Then I power it off, upgrade hardware version, and power it back on all in the same reboot.  Is that an issue?

Yes, that is an issue and don't do it. You need to upgrade tools, reboot, ensure the VM is up and the new version took, and then upgrade hardware. Reason being that newer hardware has a requirement on newer VMware Tools, and so if you attempt to do them together you could put yourself in a no-boot situation which is obviously no good.

0 Kudos
drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov.  that sounds like the advice I was looking for.  I am going to leave this open for a couple of days to see if anyone else has any input, but thanks so much for that response.

0 Kudos