VMware Communities
colincool05
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 14.1.2, garbled sound on Windows 2000/XP VMs

Hello, this is my first post.

I run Windows 10 Home x64 as my host.

I've been experiencing an issue with Windows 2000 and XP virtual machines where the audio is garbled, cracks, and is distorted.

Looked all over the internet for a fix, but none of them are working. I've tried reinstalling VMWare Tools, installing drivers for the Creative EsoniqPCI card, editing the .vmx file, and changing the hardware compatibility.

If anyone has a working fix, I would be glad to try it.

Thank you.

2 Replies
Jdwilk
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if anyone has come up with a solution to this issue yet. I have the same issue with XP and 2000. So far, what I have found is that the sound works perfectly if you run any other VM at the same time as XP or 2000. This is a glitch with VMware and it needs to be resolved. It is nothing to do with anything inside the operating system or the drivers themselves. It is something to do with memory allocations outside of the VMs I believe. If anyone else has found a solution to this that would be great. I don't want to do the Windows Media Player workaround where that is constantly running in the background and besides, that does not work for Windows 2000. If they want $150 bucks for this software it is going to have to be able to run some simple VMs smoothly. That is what it is meant to do and that is what it should do...

0 Kudos
Nikurasu
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I'm having the same issue with Workstation 15.0.2. The only thing which worked for me was connecting an USB sound card to the guest system. Windows 2000 and XP will detect simple USB sound cards without a problem.
Still, this seems to be a pretty old and widespread issue and I hope it will be fixed some day.

0 Kudos