VMware Communities
urbanmojo
Contributor
Contributor

No internet access in Windows connection

I'm running Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion 7.1.3 on a Macbook OS 10.13.4. I've been running Fusion for years. Right now the network connection is not working when I'm in my office. In Windows I get a 169.xx.xx.xx IP address and "no internet connection" when in bridged connection. NAT does not give me an IP address at all. If I use on my home network or tether to my phone it works.

So seems to be a problem with my work network when in the office, but other people here are running Parallels in bridged mode and it is working fine, suggesting it can be done (different product I know). I've done some troubleshooting from KBases on the internet but given it seems to be the work network in particular what should I check for?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jwatson6
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having similar issues. The following link got me up and running again: NAT not working in Fusion 10.1.1 for Windows 10 after MAC OS update 10.13.2

Stopping and restarting vmnet-cli in Terminal and then renewing ifconfig from Win cmd line fixes the problem. (I'll be interested to see if it's a persistent fix or if it has be repeated very often...)

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion  7 isn't supported on 10.13 (or 10.12 for that matter), so that's possibly part of your problem.  Does it work if you upgrade to Fusion 10?

0 Kudos
h__sqd
Contributor
Contributor

My situation is quite similar.  I have ported over to a new MBP with 10.3.6 and loaded Fusion 10.1.2 for my Win7.  Everything works fine, but the comms seem pretty flaky.  A hard Ethernet connection appears to be stable, but any combination of WiFi connections will link up for a bit and then drop off without any obvious cause.  It typically takes changing the options in the Network Adaptor and then back to WiFi to get a valid IP address, but that is often not enough to get out.  If it ends up working after much fussing around, it will die without any obvious cause, except for maybe too long of an idle time.  Various tries like removing the adaptor and loading a fresh one might help, but the random nature of the success/failure sequence makes it hard to know a real fix.  Sharing and Auto Detect don't appear to work at all.

On occasion the IP addy will be the self assigned one from the Mac, which hints that the problem may be on the Mac's side.  Maybe there is a bug in the newer OSX?  I will say that my old setup wasn't perfect on the WiFi side, but it certainly didn't take this much fussing around.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It may also be the access point - a lot of networks are configured to only provide a single IP to a given MAC address.

0 Kudos