VMware Horizon Community
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UEM personalization tab

hi,

i had my uem created without office template config file,

so every time a users log into instant clone he had to create the outlook profile again.

create office config profile solved that.

but the question is why outlook needed a config profile from uem so it can save in appdata (appdata is redirected)

and do i need a config file for every third party app so it can save in appdata  ? or it will save in appdata without the need of config file.

another question is :

when outlook 2010 ost is redirected, does it use appdata any more ?

thanks in advance.

regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090,

if you redirect your AppData folder, you should update your Flex config files to not roam any of the <AppData> locations, to prevent doing double work. It won't do any real harm, but performance won't be optimal

what do you mean by this? Flexconfig files of outlook or all flex config? and how is that done?

Most applications store at least some of their settings in the AppData folder, so the Flex config files for those applications contain <AppData>\abc\xyz references. If you redirect AppData, there is no need for UEM to manage <AppData> settings – those will be saved in some network folder anyway, and will therefore be available again automatically the next time a user logs on, even in non-persistent scenarios like instant clones.

Like I said, there is no real harm in having UEM manage <AppData> in that scenario, but you're basically having it perform unnecessary work (copying data between the redirected AppData location and the UEM profile archives). If you want to prevent that, you would have to check all your Flex config files (and make sure to first click Manage | Expand for the ones based on Windows Common Settings or Application Templates), and remove or comment out all <AppData>\abc\xyz references in [Include*] headers.

and what do you think best practice and optimal method?

Is that a trick question? 🙂 I think the industry consensus is pretty much that redirecting AppData is definitely not a best practice.

Also does using uem with app data redirected considered as roaming profile ? //this part i want to understand.

No, "roaming profile" refers to the standard Microsoft profile type where Windows itself takes care of copying your profile from and to a network location at logon and logoff, respectively.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090,

but the question is why outlook needed a config profile from uem so it can save in appdata (appdata is redirected)

Outlook does not just save settings in <AppData>. There are also settings saved in the registry, and there are a bunch of files in <LocalAppData>.

BTW, if you redirect your AppData folder, you should update your Flex config files to not roam any of the <AppData> locations, to prevent doing double work. It won't do any real harm, but performance won't be optimal.

and do i need a config file for every third party app so it can save in appdata  ? or it will save in appdata without the need of config file.

Yes, indeed. Unless of course those third party apps only use settings in AppData, which will be taken care of because you have AppData redirected. But in general applications use a mix of registry and user profile folders (and not just AppData).

when outlook 2010 ost is redirected, does it use appdata any more ?

What exactly do you mean by "redirecting" the OST? Either way, as described above, Outlook saves settings in <AppData>, <LocalAppData>, and the registry.

ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks manSmiley Happy

but i have one comment on this:

if you redirect your AppData folder, you should update your Flex config files to not roam any of the <AppData> locations, to prevent doing double work. It won't do any real harm, but performance won't be optimal

what do you mean by this? Flexconfig files of outlook or all flex config? and how is that done?

Also does using uem with app data redirected considered as roaming profile ? //this part i want to understand.

thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090,

Most applications store at least some of their settings in the AppData folder, so the Flex config files for those applications contain <AppData>\abc\xyz references. If you redirect AppData, there is no need for UEM to manage <AppData> settings – those will be saved in some network folder anyway, and will therefore be available again automatically the next time a user logs on, even in non-persistent scenarios like instant clones.

Like I said, there is no real harm in having UEM manage <AppData> in that scenario, but you're basically having it perform unnecessary work (copying data between the redirected AppData location and the UEM profile archives). If you want to prevent that, you would have to check all your Flex config files (and make sure to first click Manage | Expand for the ones based on Windows Common Settings or Application Templates), and remove or comment out all <AppData>\abc\xyz references in [Include*] headers.

Is that a trick question? 🙂 I think the industry consensus is pretty much that redirecting AppData is definitely not a best practice.

No, "roaming profile" refers to the standard Microsoft profile type where Windows itself takes care of copying your profile from and to a network location at logon and logoff, respectively.

0 Kudos
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

thanks, man, it's now clear Smiley Happy