VMware Horizon Community
KennyBrez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enable View Storage Accelerator in production environment

Hi,

Is there any risk enabling View Storage Accelerator in View Configuration/Servers/vCenter Servers in a production environment?

For some reason this is disabled and we would like to have View Storage Accelerator enabled on the vCenter and control Storage Accelerator on Desktop Pool level. We are not using shared storage but local SSD on the hosts.

The Desktop Pools is not configured with Parent VM and Image/Snapshots so it shouldn't be necessary with Recompose for new Replika image on provisioned machines. The pools are configured to provision from Template, Recompose/Refresh is unavailable in this environment. 

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

First you enable View Storage Accelerator on the vCenter in Horizon View Administrator. This will reconfigure the hosts to enable CBRC (If you use host profiles they will notice the change). Then you enable it on a per pool basis. The next time the VMs in that pool are powered off the virtual disk digest needs to be created. This can take some time and the VM can't power on until it's completed so make sure to do it in advance of the users shutting down the VM and expecting it to power back on quickly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

same set up here, very curious about this.  I enabled it on our dev stuff and didn't see any issues.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We stopped using View Storage Accelerator several years ago when we moved an all-flash array (The recommendation from our AFA vendor is to disable it). I'm curious if you really need it but you can enable it after the fact. The VMs will need to be powered off for the virtual disk digest to be created. Be careful enabling this as if a user shuts down their machine it can take some time for the virtual disk digest to be created before the VM can be powered back on (I believe this will happen regardless of if a blackout time is configured). If you are concerned make sure to configure blackout times to limit reclaiming disk space and regenerating the digest files from taking place during peak times (We use space reclamation but don't configure any blackout times as our AFA can handle the load).

Configure View Storage Accelerator for vCenter Server

Configure View Storage Accelerator for View Composer Linked Clones (This covers full virtual machines too)

Set Storage Accelerator and Space Reclamation Blackout Times for View Composer Linked Clones

KennyBrez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks BenFB,

Yeah, I´m not sure if Storage Accelerator will do any good, but I would like to do a test on a couple of dev Desktop Pools. Firstly, I need to enable it under View Configuration before I enable it on the dev Desktop Pools. To be be absolutely sure, this single operation does not require any downtime on the VM´s?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

First you enable View Storage Accelerator on the vCenter in Horizon View Administrator. This will reconfigure the hosts to enable CBRC (If you use host profiles they will notice the change). Then you enable it on a per pool basis. The next time the VMs in that pool are powered off the virtual disk digest needs to be created. This can take some time and the VM can't power on until it's completed so make sure to do it in advance of the users shutting down the VM and expecting it to power back on quickly.

0 Kudos
KennyBrez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks BenFB.

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos