VMware Communities
EBandi
Contributor
Contributor

visual studio build problem using shared folder

Hi!

I have a special VM configuration (VMWare 12.5.9 build-7535481 , VMware Tools on guest: 10.3.0.8931395). I have a host machine (Win10Pro 1709 - OS build 16299.492) with a big .net solution source it is mapped as fully enabled shared folder to the guest machine (Win10Pro 1803 - OS build 17134.165).

When I want to build this solution on the guest using VS2015u3 build always fails with different kinds of error. But when I copy it to the guest's own drive build is always successful.

Since this solution is in source control would be much more safe to use if from the host's drive not from the guest's...

Could you help me in this issue?

Thanks in advanced,

EBandi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

When you say "mapped as a shared folder" - are you referring to the VMware Shared Folders feature, or to a Windows/SAMBA file share?

There historically have been issues with the VMware Shared Folders feature, and you might get better results using standard built-in windows networking file sharing.

0 Kudos
EBandi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer!

I meant VMware's shared folder feature. Unfortunately I can not use Windows/Samba file share since host machine and guest machine are in totally different networks and they can not see each other...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Using VMware Shared Folders for this type of setup does not work well, it is something that has been reported several times over the past 10 years or so.

If at all possible check out your source in the VM, not at the host.

See also: How to force shared folders to work?

But if you go search the forums for this, you'll find plenty of other users having issues with this particular setup.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
EBandi
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for the answer!

Unfortunately source control server and the guest can not see each other due to network settings (it is on purpose).

But fortunately I managed to find a workaround. Created a partition on the host machine's disk for the source and added this partition to the guest as HDD.

Bad part of it that this partition can be used only from the guest if switched on, but so far this seems to be the best workaround.

0 Kudos