VMware Cloud Community
vlyamtse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Remote console: copy paste does not work?

I am trying to enable copy paste between remote console and host OS. I followed directions as specified in documentation:

VMware vSphere 4 ESXi Installable and vCenter Server Documentation Center

But it still doesn't work after restart.

Do I need to install any additional packages? I see "VmWare tools not installed on this virtual machine" icon (see attached)

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 9.29.51 AM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Along with configuring the below options, it requires VM tools to be installed and up-to-date for the copy/paste to work from the VM console -

isolation.tools.copy.disable="FALSE"

isolation.tools.paste.disable="FALSE"

Step-1 --> Install VMware Tools.

Step-2 --> Power off the VM --> Set the above parameters either in the advanced configuration of the VM or by editing the vmx file.

Step-3 --> Remove the VM from inventory and re-register. Sometimes, the changes to the vmx file are not considered unless the vmx is reloaded.

Step-4 --> Power on the VM and ensure that the VMware Tools service is started.

At this point, copy/paste between the VM console and your local system should work.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What's the source of the copy?? If you're trying to copy/paste from your computer into a system you have the VMRC open on, you won't be able to (to vSphere at least). You can do that when going to VMs running under VMware Workstation.

Also, which version are you running?? If you're still on 4.x... :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
vlyamtse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version: 6.0.0

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Along with configuring the below options, it requires VM tools to be installed and up-to-date for the copy/paste to work from the VM console -

isolation.tools.copy.disable="FALSE"

isolation.tools.paste.disable="FALSE"

Step-1 --> Install VMware Tools.

Step-2 --> Power off the VM --> Set the above parameters either in the advanced configuration of the VM or by editing the vmx file.

Step-3 --> Remove the VM from inventory and re-register. Sometimes, the changes to the vmx file are not considered unless the vmx is reloaded.

Step-4 --> Power on the VM and ensure that the VMware Tools service is started.

At this point, copy/paste between the VM console and your local system should work.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet