VMware Horizon Community
mrstorey303
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Horizon To Connect To Physical Desktop

Does anyone here use Horizon for connecting to physical desktops - i.e. a user's 'normal' office desktop?

Aside from the typical 'VDI' / floating pool use cases for Horizon, we have a use case for leveraging the connection servers and UAG's to provide secure access to user's physical desktop in their office.

I'm sure I've done this before with older versions of Horizon using PCoIP with success.  Simply install the agent on the physical desktop, register it with the connection server, configure it in a pool with dedicated assignment and you're done, simple connectivity back to a user's normal desktop.  Much better than allowing users to RDP back to their physical machine from a VDI or RDSH session, which some users seem to want to do in our org.

Horizon documentation states that the blast protocol is not supported on physical endpoints, unless it's an RDSH server - not sure why this is the case, but whatever...  However I still have no luck with PCoIP or RDP.  When connecting I can see the logon event happening on the physical machine, but with all the protocols I've tried (blast, pciop, rdp), I just end up with a black screen and eventually disconnects / times out after a short period.  Firewall logs showing all the traffic is allowed - no denies etc, so was stumped.

I contacted VMware support who have told me that it's not possible to use Horizon in this way unless you have physical Teradici / PCoIP cards installed in the machine?  Can't understand why this would be the case, and I'm sure I've been able to do this in the past with older versions in previous places.

Anyone have experiences to share?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm also currently trying to make this work for the same reason. As of now I have a case open because the Horizon Agent is never even registering with the connection server.

From the documentation I would agree that it indicated only RDP will work. However, I'm hoping this is an oversight and it will work with Blast. At least on the machine I'm testing with the Blast feature was installed.

Supported Operating Systems for Horizon Agent

Note:

To use the VMware Blast display protocol, you must install Horizon Agent on a single-session virtual machine or on an RDS host. The RDS host can be a physical machine or a virtual machine. The VMware Blast display protocol does not operate on a single-user physical computer.

PCoIP

The PCoIP display protocol can be used for published applications and for remote desktops that use virtual machines, physical machines that contain Teradici host cards, or shared session desktops on an RDS host.

VMware Blast Extreme

The VMware Blast display protocol can be used for published applications and for remote desktops that use virtual machines or shared-session desktops on an RDS host. The RDS host can be a physical machine or a virtual machine. The VMware Blast display protocol does not operate on a single-user physical computer.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It turns out there is a known issue in Horizon Agent 7.4.0 which is why we couldn't get this to work. We are still running 7.4.0 on our connection servers but upgraded the Horizon Agent on the physical to 7.5.0 and now it's working. We actually were able to connect using Blast (We use Mac remotely so RDP is not supported) but anyone at the console of the physical PC can see what is happening and control the session. I'm still working with VMware to determine if this is expected.

0 Kudos