VMware Cloud Community
Lie_DW
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot use a reserved property

Hi!

vRA 7.4 distributed environment.

Blueprint for a Windows 2016 machine, we are using the CloneWorkflow, clone from a vCenter template and are using a Customization spec.

There are 3 disks in the template, when deploying, only the C drive is active so I want to use VirtualMachine.DiskN.Letter, VirtualMachine.DiskN.Label and VirtualMachine.DiskN.Active as custom properties to set these drives active after the deployment.

But it's not working, it says "You cannot use a reserved property" when adding these properties to a disk in the blueprint.

What am I missing? Where should I use these properties if I cannot add them to the disk? Should I enter them in the Property Dictionary?

I tried it on a Create BasicVMWorkflow because I thought is was an issue since we are using a template but I have the same problem.

I normally use a Powershell script to set this but I figured, why not using those properties but I cannot get it to work...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Does your template have these 2 other disks (not counting system volume here), or are you defining these in the blueprint? If they're already in the template itself, you don't use those custom properties. If they're not in the template and you're defining them in the blueprint, you do use them. Also, you need to ensure you have the custom properties set on the machine component to use the guest agent to begin with, otherwise nothing happens.

0 Kudos
Lie_DW
Contributor
Contributor

Hmz,

There are 3 disks in the template so I added a 4th disk in the blueprint just to test.

Disk0,Disk1 and Disk2 are disks that are in the template.

Disk3 is added in the blueprint itself.

The moment I click OK when I add the VirtualMachine.Disk3.Letter property to disk3, I get You cannot use a reserved property as well.

The guest agent properties are added to the machine properties (with a property group)

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're doing this in the blueprint, you don't need to add that custom property, just put the driver letter in when you edit the disk. It's the "Driver Letter / Mount Path" column. No need for that custom property.

0 Kudos
Lie_DW
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, got it .

But it does not apply the correct drive letter and Label to the disks. It just sets D Drive (D:) and E Drive (E:) when I have this:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You need to add the custom property to use the guest agent, which also means you have to install that guest agent in your template.

0 Kudos
Lie_DW
Contributor
Contributor

The guest agent is installed and the bootstrap agent too since I have software components to add (and I can confirm the software component works)

pastedImage_0.png

If these are not in my blueprint, the disks are added but offline. When I add them (it worked without the WaitComplete as well), the drives come online but like this

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you defining these drives and their labels in the blueprint or the request form?

0 Kudos
Lie_DW
Contributor
Contributor

Omg yes, on a "secret" tab to set my storage policies :smileygrin:

I forgot all about it.....

0 Kudos